Colombia’s most wanted drug trafficker arrestedApril 16th, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, April 16 (EFE) Colombia’s most wanted drug trafficker Daniel Rendon has been arrested in an operation involving 500 police officers, an official said.
Rendon, alias Don Mario, was arrested Wednesday by the National Police in San Jose in northwestern part of the country, Police Chief General Oscar Naranjo said.
The Colombian government had offered a reward of five billion pesos (about $2.08 million) for information leading to Rendon’s arrest. He is also wanted in the US for crimes in that country.
President Alvaro Uribe, who is currently on a visit to Brazil, said: “We spent all of the Holy Week (includes the religious holidays of Good Friday and Easter Sunday) monitoring the operation.
“The truth is that I felt a tremendous sense of relief for all of my countrymen when the news came in this morning … It shows what we can do, it shows that Colombia can finally rid itself of all criminality,” the Colombian leader told reporters in Rio de Janeiro.
Earlier, Naranjo had informed the president about Rendon’s capture.
Rendon was second-in-command of the militia group Elmer Cardenas Bloc, which is part of the United Self-Defence Forces of Colombia (AUC).
The AUC was accused of committing numerous human rights violations.
Colombia’s militia groups were formed by the government to fight against drug crimes in the country. However, after these groups were disbanded by the government some of the ex-militia groups got involved in the drug trade.
- Colombian prosecutor gets 15 years for drug links - Mar 11, 2011
- Drug lord described as `murderer of murderers' killed - Dec 30, 2010
- Lion used for debt recovery seized in Colombia - Mar 15, 2009
- Marijuana worth $2 mn seized in Colombia - Jan 23, 2012
- 25 drug cartel members held in Colombia - Jan 20, 2009
- Man gets 24 years for Colombian journalist's killing - Feb 07, 2012
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- Colombian police seize 1.5 tonnes of cocaine - Jan 04, 2011
- Spain detains two Colombians suspected of 200 killings - Sep 14, 2010
- Colombia's 'new' militias have 4,000 fighters: Police - Aug 19, 2009
- Eight killed in Colombia shooting - Jul 03, 2010
- Colombia to send 50 soldiers to Afghanistan - May 27, 2010
- Colombian caught trying to board plane with grenade - Aug 22, 2012
- Judge gunned down in Colombia - Apr 23, 2010
- Car bomb injures former Colombian Interior Minister Londoño, kills 2 - May 16, 2012
Tags: auc, chief general, colombian government, criminality, defence forces, don mario, drug crimes, drug trafficker, easter sunday, five billion, holy week, human rights violations, militia group, militia groups, naranjo, national police, president alvaro uribe, religious holidays, rendon, rio de janeiro