Colombia’s guerrilla commander killedApril 29th, 2008 - 6:06 pm ICT by admin
Bogota, April 29 (IANS) One of the top leaders of Colombia’s largest guerrilla group, accused of staging numerous attacks on the police, has been killed in the northern province of Sucre, Spain’s EFE news agency reported Tuesday. Antonio Lopera Usuga, second-in-command of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC)’s 35th Front, was killed Monday in a gunfight with the government forces in the northern province of Sucre, Col. Cesar Augusto Cardona said.
Officials said a so-called squadron leader of the FARC was also killed Monday in clashes with the army in southern Colombia.
Lopera Usuga was accused of killing three farmers and attacking several police stations as well as a destroying a power grid in the region.
Two rebels of the National Liberation Army (ELN), country’s second largest leftist insurgency group, were killed in the eastern province of Arauca, while two FARC guerrillas were killed in the southern province of Tolima, over the weekend in separate incidents, officials said.
President Alvaro Uribe’s administration has made fighting the FARC a top priority and has obtained billions of dollars in aid from the US for counterinsurgency operations.
The US and the European Union have listed the FARC as a foreign terrorist organisation.
- Six including a general killed in Brazil chopper collision - Apr 21, 2010
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
- Colombian journalist wounded in grenade attack - Aug 06, 2012
- 12 Colombian rebels killed - Jul 12, 2010
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Man gets 24 years for Colombian journalist's killing - Feb 07, 2012
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Top Colombian rebel killed in clash with police - Mar 21, 2009
- Colombian rebel groups join forces to fight against government - Dec 17, 2009
- 39 killed in Colombia clashes - Nov 11, 2009
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Colombian Army rescues woman abducted by rebels - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: arauca, cesar augusto, counterinsurgency operations, eastern province, efe news agency, eln, farc, government forces, guerrilla commander, guerrilla group, lopera, national liberation army, northern province, president alvaro uribe, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, southern colombia, southern province, squadron leader, terrorist organisation