Colombian volcano eruptsJuly 2nd, 2012 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, July 2 (IANS/EFE) A volcano in Colombia has erupted, sending a plume of ash and vapour 10 km into the sky, officials said.
The volcano erupted at 5:40 p.m. Saturday, authorities said.
Subsequently, given the decrease in emissions of ash and gases, authorities downgraded the prevailing volcano alert from red to orange, the Colombian Geological Service said Sunday.
“There has been a considerable decline in the magnitude of the seismic signal associated with the eruption, with respect to the start of it, and so the eruptive event is considered to have ceased,” the geological service said.
The volcano’s activity continues to change in important ways, however, and authorities are not ruling out the possibility of new eruptions.
Scientists had reduced the alert level from orange to yellow May 29 as a result of seismic changes, the volcano’s instability and the emission of ash from the mountain’s peak.
About 20 towns in Caldas and Tolima were substantially affected in November 1985 when the Arenas crater erupted, thawing ice and snow on the mountain and causing flooding that killed some 23,000 of the 25,000 residents of the town of Armero.
- First jail sentence for environmental crime in Colombia - Dec 12, 2010
- Volcano erupts in Colombia - Aug 26, 2010
- Column of ash shoots from erupting Ecuador volcano - Nov 24, 2010
- Russian volcano erupts - Jun 17, 2011
- Indonesia's Mount Lokon volcano erupts - Feb 10, 2012
- Experts warn of another ash volcano in Iceland - Feb 10, 2011
- Iceland volcano ash could reach Britain: Report (Lead, changing dateline) - May 23, 2011
- Indonesia's Mount Bromo makes small eruption - Nov 27, 2010
- Indonesian volcano erupts - Aug 18, 2011
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- European tourists found alive in Chilean volcano - Apr 25, 2011
- Indonesian volcano erupts again - Sep 07, 2010
- Ecuador residents face the wrath of a volcano - May 31, 2010
- E-mail alerts to warn pilots about volcanic eruptions - Dec 17, 2010
- Priest hacked to death in Colombia - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: arenas, ash, authorities, bogota, caldas, colombia, colombian volcano, decline, emissions, gases, geological service, magnitude, orange, plume, scientists, seismic changes, seismic signal, sky, snow on the mountain, volcano alert