Colombian troops kill five leftist rebelsApril 15th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by admin
Bogota, April 15 (IANS) Colombian security forces have killed five leftist insurgents in an operation in southern areas, Spanish news agency EFE reported Tuesday. Troops from a mobile brigade engaged the guerrillas of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) at a jungle hamlet in Meta province over the weekend and killed five of them.
Among the wounded was a 14-year-old female guerrilla who was transferred to a hospital for treatment, the military said.
The troopers seized 10 rifles, ammunition and other supplies from the rebel camp that, the army said, was used for drug trafficking and to carry out extortion in the area.
President Alvaro Uribe’s administration has made eliminating the FARC, the country’s largest insurgent group with over 17,000 armed cadres, a top priority.
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Colombian Police capture 19 rebels - Nov 12, 2009
- Colombian military kills about 60 alleged rebels - Sep 21, 2010
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- 39 killed in Colombia clashes - Nov 11, 2009
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- 10 police officers killed in Colombia - Sep 11, 2010
- Marijuana worth $2 mn seized in Colombia - Jan 23, 2012
- 45 Colombian rebels killed in bombing: Report - Jul 26, 2009
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: ammunition, colombian security forces, drug trafficking, efe, extortion, farc, guerrilla, guerrillas, insurgent group, insurgents, leftist rebels, mobile brigade, president alvaro uribe, rebel camp, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, rifles, southern areas, spanish news agency, top priority