Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaineJuly 6th, 2012 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, July 6 (IANS/EFE) An officer, a non-commissioned officer and three enlisted men were arrested along with four civilians when they were stopped at a checkpoint on a highway in northwestern Colombia while transporting 603 kg of cocaine, the army said.
The arrests and seizure were made thanks to “intelligence and counterintelligence work” on the highway that links Medellin, the capital of the northwestern province of Antioquia, to the port city of Turbo, the army said.
The soldiers, who belonged to the Medellin-based 4th Brigade, and the four civilians were traveling in a truck that was carrying the cocaine hidden inside boxes of cotton.
The suspects, the truck and the cocaine were turned over to the authorities concerned for prosecution, the army said.
The suspects, who face drug charges, were not identified.
- Three die in grenade blast in Colombia - Feb 27, 2012
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
- 21 killed in Colombia accident - Apr 06, 2010
- Gunman kills five in Colombia - Jul 28, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Murder in Colombian church during Mass - Nov 19, 2010
- Seven shot dead on Colombian highway - Jul 09, 2010
- Rapper killed in Colombia - Apr 26, 2012
- Whisker stolen from giant cat statue in Colombia - Apr 11, 2012
- Four killed in Colombia shootout - Jul 31, 2010
- 2 children die in Colombia landmine blast - Apr 20, 2011
- Juanes concert brings attention to violence in Colombian city - Sep 23, 2010
- Giant cat statue arrives in Colombia - Mar 05, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: antioquia, army, authorities, bogota, boxes, checkpoint, civilians, cocaine, colombian soldiers, drug charges, efe, enlisted men, intelligence, kg, medellin, non commissioned officer, northwestern colombia, northwestern province, prosecution, seizure