Colombian security forces capture top rebel leaderFebruary 27th, 2008 - 9:55 pm ICT by admin
Bogota, Feb 27 (IANS) Colombian security forces have arrested a senior member of the country’s largest insurgency group and one of the most wanted rebels, Spain’s EFE news agency reported Wednesday. Heli Mejia Mendoza, alias “Martin Sombra” , who had spent 40 years as a guerrilla of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), had been in charge of the unit guarding the three American military contractors captured five years ago, Gen Oscar Naranjo, director of the police, said.
He was arrested Tuesday in a rural area, some 180 km north of Bogota, Naranjo said, adding, the rebel offered the officers 100 million pesos ($52,000) to let him go.
Colombian authorities said Mendoza was one of the 31 most important men in the FARC and a veteran commander who enjoyed the trust of the group’s high command.
Naranjo said the rebel leader had taught Spanish language to the three US military contractors - Thomas Howes, Marc Gonsalves and Keith Stansell.
The three Amercans are among the 40 high-profile captives the FARC has been trying to exchange for hundreds of guerrillas lodged in various government prisons.
- Colombians abducted 10 years back may be alive: Official - Sep 08, 2009
- Top FARC Commander sentenced to 27 years in prison for importing tons of cocaine into the US - Jul 23, 2010
- FARC rebels release French reporter - May 31, 2012
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Marijuana worth $2 mn seized in Colombia - Jan 23, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Colombian Army rescues woman abducted by rebels - Jun 08, 2010
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Car bomb injures former Colombian Interior Minister Londoño, kills 2 - May 16, 2012
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Kidnapped Colombian politician found dead - Dec 23, 2009
Tags: captives, colombian authorities, colombian security forces, efe news agency, farc, guerrilla, guerrillas, insurgency, marc gonsalves, mejia, mendoza, military contractors, naranjo, rebel leader, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, rural area, sombra, spanish language, thomas howes