Colombian rebels recruited teenagers, says activistMay 19th, 2012 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, May 19 (IANS/EFE) Colombia’s FARC guerrillas pulled at least 13 teenagers out of boarding schools in the southern province of Putumayo and forced them to join their ranks, a human rights activist told EFE.
The youngsters were taken from schools in a rural area near Puerto Guzman, sociologist and Andean parliament member Gloria Ines Florez said by telephone from Putumayo, which borders Ecuador.
Fighters from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, burst into the schools a few days ago and left with at least 13 adolescents.
“They are students between the ages of 13 and 15, and the majority of them are girls,” Florez said.
She said she learned of the forced recruitment from her contacts in the area, where the boarding schools - a recent phenomenon - “have become places of protection for school boys and girls, given the serious conditions of the armed conflict.”
Youngsters at the boarding schools have been relatively insulated from battles between rebels and security forces, the threat of landmines and forcible recruitment, Florez said Friday, calling on the FARC and other parties to the conflict to respect international humanitarian law.
The FARC, now thought to number some 8,000 fighters, has battled a succession of Colombian governments since the mid-1960s.
- 2,000 land mines found in Colombia in 2011 - Sep 19, 2011
- Colombian rebels set condition for freeing French reporter - May 08, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombia's FARC rules out surrender - Apr 20, 2012
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- 13 Colombian rebels killed in airstrike - Nov 16, 2010
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- 2 children die in Colombia landmine blast - Apr 20, 2011
- 22 rebels killed in Colombia - Sep 20, 2010
- Colombian TV host held over rebel ties - Nov 16, 2010
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Peace is a true farewell to arms: Colombian rebel chief - Sep 20, 2012
- 12 Colombian rebels killed - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: andean parliament, armed conflict, boarding schools, boys and girls, colombian rebels, efe, farc, florez, human rights activist, international humanitarian law, landmines, mid 1960s, parliament member, puerto guzman, putumayo, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, rural area, school boys, sociologist, southern province