Colombian rebel group commander dying in the jungle: ReportFebruary 21st, 2009 - 12:44 am ICT by IANS
Miami, Feb 20 (IANS) The military chief of Colombia’s largest rebel group is on the verge of death at a secret jungle hideout as he is unable to receive treatment for his chronic diabetes, EFE reported Friday.
Jorge Briceno Suarez, alias Mono Jojoy, the military chief of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), is said to be suffering from chronic diabetes since past two years, but his health deteriorated recently, the report said.
“He’s nothing but bones … he doesn’t have food or medicine and his people have to carry him whenever they have to move him to another camp,” the report quoted a Spanish daily as saying.
The FARC’s former top leader and founder, Manuel “Sureshot” Marulanda, died after a heart attack last March, just weeks after another top member of the group, Raul Reyes, was killed in a cross-border military air raid in Ecuador.
The report said huge quantity of weapons and millions of dollars under Suarez’s control are kept hidden in the jungle.
Last year, the government soldiers had rescued former presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt and three US military contractors, among others from FARC’s custody. Most of them had been held fore more than five years.
- FARC's Commander Jorge Briceno A. K. A. Mono Jojoy Muerto Killed - Sep 24, 2010
- Colombia's FARC number 2 rebel commander "Mono Jojoy" killed - Sep 24, 2010
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- FARC leader is ill but not dying: Colombia - Feb 22, 2009
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombia closes 56 illegal gold mines - Jan 18, 2011
- Colombia's FARC rules out surrender - Apr 20, 2012
- Key events in Colombia's dealings with FARC - Jul 03, 2008
- Female Colombian snipers defending Gaddafi in Libya - Apr 15, 2011
- Colombian rebels free last foreign hostage - Mar 19, 2009
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Uruguay announce squad for World Cup qualifiers - Aug 23, 2012
- 13 rebels killed in Colombia clashes - Jul 18, 2009
Tags: air raid, betancourt, briceno, chronic diabetes, efe, farc, government soldiers, group commander, heart attack, jungle hideout, manuel sureshot marulanda, military air, military chief, military contractors, raul reyes, rebel group, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, secret jungle, sureshot