Colombian police seize mobile cocaine labMarch 9th, 2009 - 10:36 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, March 9 (IANS) Police in the central Colombia have found and seized a mobile cocaine laboratory and arrested two suspects, EFE reported.
The lab, which was seized Saturday in Cundinamarca province, had the capacity to produce “between 50 and 100 kg of cocaine weekly,” provincial police chief Colonel Fabio Castaneda said.
“Officers seized chemicals and equipment for processing cocaine,” Castaneda said, adding that the two suspects were arrested in this connection.
Last month, police in the southwestern province of Valle del Cauca had seized a mobile cocaine laboratory that had been mounted on a truck and arrested the vehicle’s driver.
According to the police, drug traffickers use such mobile laboratories to avoid police checks and mainly to produce cocaine for the local market.
Colombia is a major drug producing country in South America and its southwestern coasal zone has become a battleground for drug traffickers, right-wing militias and leftist rebels.
All are struggling to impose control on a strategic patch of geography where coca is grown, converted into cocaine and shipped to North American consumers.
Colombian police have seized 12 tonnes of cocaine so far this year. One tonne of cocaine has an estimated street value of $25 million in the US.
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Use of children to transport drugs increasing in Colombia - Dec 28, 2010
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Colombian police seize one tonne of cocaine - Aug 31, 2011
- Colombia seizes over three tonnes of marijuana - Apr 19, 2011
- Nearly seven tonnes of cocaine seized in Colombia - Feb 09, 2009
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Five die in Colombian bar attack - Sep 27, 2011
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- It's official: Guatemala now a drug-producing country - Aug 16, 2012
- Toy cars made of cocaine seized in Italy - Oct 13, 2011
- 22 drug labs destroyed in Colombia - May 01, 2010
- Colombian drug trafficker nabbed at father-in-law's funeral - Apr 08, 2009
- 39 killed in Colombia clashes - Nov 11, 2009
- Colombian police seize 1.5 tonnes of cocaine - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: american consumers, battleground, castaneda, central colombia, cocaine, colombian police, drug traffickers, leftist rebels, local market, militias, mobile laboratories, one tonne, police checks, police chief, police drug, provincial police, s driver, southwestern province, valle del cauca, year one