Colombian authorities seize tonne of cocaineJanuary 31st, 2010 - 5:13 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Jan 31 (IANS/EFE) Colombian authorities have seized one tonne of cocaine on an island off the coast of northern Cartagena city.
Navy sailors have captured one of the three suspects who fired at them during the operation that led to the seizure of the drugs. It was found in two hideouts on the Tierra Bomba Island.
The consignment, worth about $26 million, “was ready to be loaded and transported via the Caribbean Sea, apparently to the US,” the navy said in a statement Friday.
Authorities also seized one million pesos (about $500) from the captured suspect.
Colombia is the world’s leading producer of cocaine.
- Colombian navy seizes tonne of cocaine - Sep 12, 2012
- Colombian police seize 1.5 tonnes of cocaine - Jan 04, 2011
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaine - Jul 06, 2012
- Colombian oil firm to export 12 mn barrels to India - Aug 16, 2012
- Colombian navy destroys submarine meant for carrying drugs - Feb 18, 2010
- 1,577 kg cocaine seized in Mexico - Apr 20, 2010
- Colombia beauty barred from contest (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Judge gunned down in Colombia - Apr 23, 2010
- Soccer player slain in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Miss Colombia contest bars woman linked to Mexican kingpin - Aug 10, 2011
- Marijuana worth $2 mn seized in Colombia - Jan 23, 2012
- Colombian Army rescues woman abducted by rebels - Jun 08, 2010
- US told to apologize for tarnishing Cartagena's image - Apr 27, 2012