Colombian Army kills five rebels, rescues hostagesJuly 14th, 2008 - 6:49 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, July 14 (IANS) Colombian troops have killed five suspected members of the country’s second largest leftist guerrilla group and rescued five people being held hostage by them in northwestern province of Antioquia, EFE news agency reported Monday. The killed guerrillas belonged to the finance unit of the National Liberation Army, or ELN, during an operation Sunday, the 4th Brigade of Colombian Army said.
The rebels, who were also involved in trafficking cocaine, were holding three men and two women hostage.
The ELN unit, according to the army, prevented residents from moving around freely, telling them that if they left the area they could enter a mine field.
The ELN has waged a four-decade insurgency against a succession of Colombian administrations. Several attempts to negotiate peace with the group in the 1990s and earlier this decade broke down after weeks or months of talks.
The most recent peace process between the ELN and government started in 2005 and was suspended last August due to differences over various issues.
The 5,000-member ELN, founded in 1964, is the second-biggest guerrilla group in the South American country after the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- 22 rebels killed in Colombia - Sep 20, 2010
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- 2 children die in Colombia landmine blast - Apr 20, 2011
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaine - Jul 06, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- 18 ELN guerrillas surrender in Colombia - Dec 08, 2008
- Colombia's FARC rules out surrender - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: being held hostage, biggest guerrilla, colombian army, efe news agency, eln, farc, finance unit, guerrilla group, guerrillas, hostages, insurgency, july 14, national liberation army, northwestern province, peace process, rebels, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, three men, two women