Colombia pipeline blast kills 11December 24th, 2011 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Dec 24 (IANS/EFE) Eleven people were killed and 81 injured Friday when a gasoline pipeline exploded in the west-central Colombian town of Dosquebradas, authorities said.
“It’s a very sad morning,” Mayor Luz Ensue?o Betancourt said.
The Attorney General’s Office and technicians from state oil company Ecopetrol, the owner of the pipeline, are trying to determine whether the blast was caused by equipment failure or by people trying to steal fuel from the conduit, she said.
The 4.30 a.m. explosion and ensuing fire destroyed more than 30 homes and damaged dozens, forcing around 400 residents to seek temporary shelter at a school and sports complex.
Doctors at hospitals in Dosquebradas and nearby Pereira, capital of Risaralda province, say 17 of the injured are in very serious condition.
Mayor Betancourt said the fuel contaminated a local creek and the director of emergency services, Alfredo Mu?oz, urged residents not to use water from the area around the blast.
- Colombia to deploy 5,000 soldiers to protect pipeline - Jul 12, 2012
- Colombian oil firm to export 12 mn barrels to India - Aug 16, 2012
- Colombian firm makes oil find - Aug 17, 2012
- Mexican oil giant to spend $24 mn to repair pipeline - Dec 21, 2011
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Colombian firm makes new oil find - Apr 26, 2012
- Colombian oil company to invest $8.48 bn in 2012 - Nov 23, 2011
- Colombian regulator approves BP asset sell-off - Dec 23, 2010
- Man killed while stealing fuel from Mexico pipeline - Apr 18, 2011
- Ecopetrol makes new oil find in Colombia - Dec 15, 2010
- BP sells operation in Colombia - Aug 04, 2010
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Three die in Brazil blast - Oct 14, 2011
- Three die in Colombian plane crash - Mar 19, 2012
- Train, car collide in Spain, one killed - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,