Colombia nabs FARC’s urban wing leaderMay 3rd, 2009 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, May 3 (EFE) A Colombian leftist guerrilla leader, suspected to be the head of the group’s urban networks, has been arrested from the southwestern city of Cali, the police have said.
Dorbey Collazos Gonzalez, best known as Sergio, was arrested Friday from a residential area in the city, the National Police News Agency (ANNP) said, adding that the rebel was preparing “terrorist acts”.
The agency said that Collazos, 45, active with the insurgents since 1999, was directing urban militias of the Manuel Cepeda Vargas Front of the country’s largest guerrilla group Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
The arrested rebel leader was mostly involved in politics and ideology, an activity with which he helped build the group’s clandestine political party, the Bolivarian Movement for the New Colombia, the police agency said.
Collazos faces trial for rebellion and is accused of a recent attack with explosives on a police post in Cali.
Attacks by the FARC in Colombia’s largest cities used to be a frequent occurrence, but the country’s US-backed military has badly weakened the guerrillas in recent years and relegated them to remote jungle areas.
The FARC, which has battled a succession of Colombian governments since the mid-1960s, once had nearly 20,000 combatants, but is now estimated to number around 9,000.
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Colombian caught trying to board plane with grenade - Aug 22, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Marijuana worth $2 mn seized in Colombia - Jan 23, 2012
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Car bomb injures former Colombian Interior Minister Londoño, kills 2 - May 16, 2012
- Colombia extradites drug trafficker to US - Sep 30, 2011
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Four dead in Colombia bus attack - Jun 21, 2012
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Colombia's FARC number 2 rebel commander "Mono Jojoy" killed - Sep 24, 2010
- Colombian Army rescues woman abducted by rebels - Jun 08, 2010
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: annp, farc, frequent occurrence, guerrilla group, guerrilla leader, jungle areas, largest cities, mid 1960s, militias, nabs, national police, police agency, police news, police post, politics and ideology, rebel leader, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, southwestern city, terrorist acts, wing leader