Colombia landslide toll reaches 25June 3rd, 2008 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Medellin (Colombia), June 3 (IANS) The toll in Saturday’s landslide in this northwestern Colombian city reached 25 Tuesday after rescuers recovered more bodies from the rubble, EFE news agency reported quoting authorities. Municipal officials in Medellin said they found six more bodies Monday with the help of sniffer dogs provided by the city police, which deployed about 300 officers at the site of the tragedy.
Three children were still missing since Saturday’s landslides, which followed days of torrential rain in a poor neighbourhood of the country’s second largest city, the officials said.
At least 16 residents were injured in the incident.
“Because of the information of the community, the relatives, as well as the help of the dogs and all the rescue groups, we have two spots where we can work” to find the missing, head of Medellin’s disaster management office Camilo Zapata said.
A total of 18 houses were swept away and many more were damaged by the landslide in Medellin’s El Socorro neighbourhood.
President Alvaro Uribe, who hails from Medellin, expressed his support to the victims’ families and offered his government’s assistance in dealing with the emergency.
The rains that have drenched Colombia since May 15 have left at least 16 other people dead, 43 injured and rendered more than 124,000 homeless across the country.
- Landslides kill four people in Colombia - Apr 11, 2011
- Massive landslide kills two, 145 missing in Columbia - Dec 06, 2010
- 12 dead in China rains - Jul 21, 2012
- 250,000 told to evacuate due to Japan rains - Jul 15, 2012
- 12 dead in China landslides - Sep 19, 2011
- Colombian prosecutor gets 15 years for drug links - Mar 11, 2011
- Rapper killed in Colombia - Apr 26, 2012
- 13 dead due to rains in China - Jul 22, 2012
- 55,000 evacuated as fresh floods hit China - Jun 15, 2011
- Gunman kills five in Colombia - Jul 28, 2012
- 17 dead in China floods - Jul 23, 2011
- 8 dead, 70 trapped in Colombia mine explosion - Jun 17, 2010
- Landslides kill at least 37 in Guatemala - Sep 06, 2010
- 18 dead in China landslide - Jul 06, 2011
- Grenade blast during Colombia football celebration kills 1 - Sep 07, 2009
Tags: camilo zapata, city police, colombian city, disaster management, homeless, june 3, landslide, landslides, management office, medellin colombia, municipal officials, neighbourhood, news agency, president alvaro uribe, relatives, rescue groups, rescuers, rubble, sniffer dogs, socorro