Colombia elects woman attorney generalDecember 3rd, 2010 - 11:50 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Dec 3 (IANS/EFE) Colombia’s Supreme Court has elected Viviane Morales as the country’s new attorney general, ending 16 months of uncertainty stemming from feuds between the previous government and the judiciary, the media said.
Colombia’s first woman attorney general was elected late Wednesday, with Morales receiving 14 of 18 votes from participating justices.
An attorney, constitutional law expert and former lawmaker who works at Caracol Radio, Morales beat out two other jurists, Juan Carlos Esguerra and Carlos Gustavo Arrieta.
All three had been named as candidates by President Juan Manuel Santos shortly after he was inaugurated Aug 7.
Morales said she was greatly honoured to be elected attorney general and noted the “great responsibility” that comes with the position, which had been occupied on an interim basis since August 2009 by Guillermo Mendoza.
In July 2009, then-President Alvaro Uribe submitted an initial list of candidates that included Camilo Ospina, Virginia Uribe and Juan Angel Palacio, but all three resigned after the high court refused to elect any of them after a period of several months.
Uribe later named three more candidates that were subsequently rejected by the high court.
The failure to fill that key post came amid a long-running spat between Uribe and the Supreme Court related in part to the latter’s investigation into collaboration between Uribe allies in Congress and murderous right-wing paramilitaries.
New York-based Human Rights Watch accused Uribe last year of repeatedly taking “steps to undermine the investigations and discredit the Supreme Court justices who have taken the lead in starting them”.
- Priest hacked to death in Colombia - Sep 14, 2011
- `Colombia now South America's No. 2 economy' - Sep 01, 2012
- US state bars political hopeful for poor English - Feb 09, 2012
- Colombian prosecutor gets 15 years for drug links - Mar 11, 2011
- Man gets 24 years for Colombian journalist's killing - Feb 07, 2012
- Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartel - Aug 13, 2012
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- FARC rebels release French reporter - May 31, 2012
- Colombians abducted 10 years back may be alive: Official - Sep 08, 2009
- Woman gunned down in church in Colombia - Aug 21, 2012
- Colombian court ends Uribe's bid for third term - Feb 28, 2010
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Argentine comedian Jorge Luz is dead - Jul 16, 2012
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: camilo, constitutional law, efe, esguerra, feuds, first woman, guillermo mendoza, interim basis, juan carlos, jurists, law expert, lawmaker, morales, ospina, president alvaro uribe, president juan, supreme court justices, taking steps, virginia uribe, woman attorney