Colombia approves exchange of leftist rebels for BetancourtMarch 28th, 2008 - 4:54 pm ICT by admin
Bogota, March 28 (DPA) Colombian President Alvaro Uribe early Friday approved an exchange of left-wing Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebels for kidnapped former presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt. Betancourt was taken hostage six years ago by the FARC.
Official reports say she is suffering from hepatitis B and “black fever”, a painful disease transmitted by sand flies that results in skin ulcers.
Uribe said the aim of the deal with the FARC was to secure the release of Betancourt and others kidnapped by the rebels, but FARC must make the first step.
Once the group makes a move, judicial authorities would be instructed to release the imprisoned rebels and to revoke their sentences.
FARC is believed to have 740 hostages. The group wants to exchange 40 of them - soldiers, police officers and politicians - for 500 of their members currently in prison.
Uribe’s conservative government and the rebels have so far been unable to agree on the conditions, time and place for the exchange.
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Colombian boy walks 70 km to seek father's release - Jul 04, 2010
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Colombian rebel forces release video of hostages, one of them kidnapped over 12 years ago - Jun 08, 2010
- Colombian rebels free last foreign hostage - Mar 19, 2009
- Kidnapped Colombian politician found dead - Dec 23, 2009
- FARC guerrilla wanted by US captured in Colombia - Nov 02, 2009
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
- Colombians abducted 10 years back may be alive: Official - Sep 08, 2009
- Colombia rebels appear to soften terms for prisoner swap - Feb 10, 2009
- Four dead in Colombia bus attack - Jun 21, 2012
- Colombia's FARC rebels release four hostages - Feb 02, 2009
- Slain Colombian governor lacked adequate security, says family - Dec 24, 2009
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: betancourt, colombian president, conservative government, dpa, farc, farc rebels, hepatitis, hepatitis b, hostage, hostages, judicial authorities, leftist rebels, police officers, presidential candidate, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, sand flies, sentences, skin ulcers, time and place