Colombia admits Red Cross emblem used in hostage rescueJuly 17th, 2008 - 1:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, July 17 (IANS) Colombian President Alvaro Uribe has admitted the unauthorised use of the Red Cross insignia during the July 2 hostage rescue mission. It has evoked strong protest from the global organisation. “Accepting responsibility is the only way to build confidence,” EFE news agency quoted the president as saying Wednesday after the government initially denied the CNN report.
The news broadcaster said it had been offered a video and photographs “by military sources” in which soldiers’ uniforms with symbols of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) could reportedly be seen but refused to buy the images as their authenticity could not be verified.
“We regret that this occurred. Defence Minister Juan Manuel Santos and the top commanders met this morning with the representative of the ICRC to give him an explanation and express (our) apologies,” Uribe said.
The ICRC delegation in Bogota said in a statement following Uribe’s public admission that the Red Cross insignia “have to be respected under all circumstances and cannot be used in an abusive manner”.
Uribe said a military officer taking part in the mission had used the insignia “out of nervousness”.
“As a guardian of international humanitarian law, the ICRC reminds (the Colombian government) that the use of the Red Cross emblem is specifically regulated by the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols,” the written statement added.
An army commando July 2 rescued 15 hostages from a hideout of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) by posing as fellow rebels sent by rebel high command to transport the hostages to another location.
The most prominent among the rescued hostages were former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt.
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Colombian boy walks 70 km to seek father's release - Jul 04, 2010
- FARC rebels release French reporter - May 31, 2012
- Venezuela, Colombia agree to resume relations - Aug 11, 2010
- Colombian rebels free last foreign hostage - Mar 19, 2009
- 10 police officers killed in Colombia - Sep 11, 2010
- Seven rebels killed in bombing raid in Colombia - Nov 29, 2009
- Red Cross prepares for release of two soldiers held by Colombia's FARC - Mar 25, 2010
- Colombia's FARC rules out surrender - Apr 20, 2012
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- Colombian military kills about 60 alleged rebels - Sep 21, 2010
- Colombia rebels appear to soften terms for prisoner swap - Feb 10, 2009
- Car bomb injures former Colombian Interior Minister Londoño, kills 2 - May 16, 2012
Tags: betancourt, cnn, cnn report, colombian government, colombian president alvaro uribe, cross icrc, defence minister, fellow rebels, geneva conventions, global organisation, hostage rescue, international committee, international humanitarian law, military sources, news broadcaster, president alvaro uribe, public admission, rescue mission, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc