Coffee made from cat poo is ‘world’s most expensive’ at $15 a cup!December 1st, 2010 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Dec 1 (ANI): The world’s most expensive coffee, Kopi Luwak, made from beans that have passed through the digestive system of a civet is gaining fast in popularity and priced at 15 dollars a cup.
Kopi Luwak, which is grown in Indonesia, is the world’s rarest coffee, and it is sold for 400 dollars per kg.
The beans pass through the digestive system of the civet, a small cat-like mammal, and are then separated from the faeces and processed before being sent to coffee fanatics all over the world.
“It’s damn hard to get hold of. There are lots of people selling it, but most of it is not authentic,” the Courier Mail quoted Brisbane coffee guru Dean Merlo as saying.
“I’d strongly suggest people don’t buy it on the Internet, you’re unlikely to get the real deal,” he stated.
The process starts with the civets, who are known in Indonesia as luwak, feeding on the red coffee cherries, and then the bean within the cherry passes through their digestive system intact.
Enzymes in the civet’s stomach then ferment the bean, and while still inside the protective membrane, the faeces are collected and the beans separated, washed and eventually roasted.
As well as being drunk as a hot beverage, the beans are used in a Danish beer known as Weasel Stout. (ANI)
- A 70 pounds coffee - made out of cat droppings - Dec 17, 2011
- $30 'cat poo coffee' is NYC's most expensive brew! - Jul 27, 2010
- Cat poo coffee is a hit in New York - Jul 28, 2010
- Chocolate covered scorpions ticking many a palate in Edinburgh - Oct 10, 2010
- New book busts urban myths about Hitler, blondes, supermodel eggs - Feb 24, 2010
- Coffee beans roasted till dark brown produces valued antioxidants - Feb 03, 2011
- Starbucks to enter India hand in hand with Tata Coffee - Jan 13, 2011
- Today is National Coffee Day - Sep 29, 2009
- White coffee: Malaysia starts new trend in beverages - Sep 25, 2010
- Turning rotten tomatoes, waste fruit into biogas - Feb 10, 2012
- World's most expensive breakfast unveiled to celebrate Breakfast At Tiffany's show - Sep 29, 2009
- Colombia looks to brew coffee business with India - Sep 13, 2012
- Britains most expensive coffee is made out of cat-poo! - Apr 10, 2008
- Brewing a national coffee culture: Delhi to host coffee fest - Dec 26, 2011
- Tirupati temple proposes breeding of civet for musk - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: brisbane, cat poo, civet, civets, coffee cherries, coffee guru, courier mail, danish beer, dean, digestive system, enzymes, faeces, ferment, mammal, melbourne, merlo, popularity, real deal, stomach, weasel