Cocaine stash found in steamrollerFebruary 20th, 2011 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Feb 20 (IANS/EFE) Mexican security forces confiscated more than 630 kg of cocaine hidden inside a steamroller in the southeastern city of Ciudad del Carmen, authorities said.The cocaine seizure, in which Mexican authorities discovered 549 packets of cocaine, each weighing approximately 1,150 grams each, was the largest thus far this year, the defence secretariat said in a statement Saturday.
A group of police officers stopped a semitrailer carrying the steamroller Friday at a routine checkpoint on the Ciudad del Carmen-Villahermosa stretch of Federal Highway 180.
The police were verifying the documentation for the vehicle and the heavy machinery it was carrying, but “during the inspection and questioning the driver appeared extremely nervous”, the secretariat said.
The officers requested assistance from army soldiers and navy personnel, who used a molecular detection device to discover the cocaine hidden inside the steamroller.
The driver and the drugs were turned over to federal prosecutors.
Most of the drugs shipped across Mexican territory - a large proportion of which are destined for the US - are transported overland and hidden in private automobiles or cargo trucks.
Drug-related violence has claimed more than 34,000 lives in Mexico since December 2006, when President Felipe Calderon took office and militarised the struggle against Mexico’s cartels, deploying tens of thousands of army soldiers and Federal Police officers nationwide.
- Four tonnes of drugs seized in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Fireworks blast leaves two dead - Jan 20, 2011
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- Six bodies found in Mexico - Feb 19, 2011
- Eight mechanics shot dead in garage in Mexico - May 19, 2011
- 9 die in shootout in Mexico - Feb 11, 2011
- 1,000 Mexicans held for involvement in sex trade - Jul 25, 2011
- Three killed in Mexico violence - Dec 09, 2010
- 250 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- Nearly 1,700 special forces soldiers desert Mexican army - Mar 09, 2011
- Beheaded bodies found in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- 4 killed during football game in Mexican city - Dec 23, 2010
- Mexican soldiers held for torture, killing of civilians - Jul 07, 2011
- Opium gum worth $12 mn seized in Mexico - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: army soldiers, cargo trucks, cartels, city feb, ciudad del carmen, cocaine seizure, federal police officers, federal prosecutors, heavy machinery, mexican authorities, mexican security, mexican territory, mexico city, president felipe calderon, private automobiles, security forces, semitrailer, southeastern city, steamroller, villahermosa