Cocaine found on submarine in Honduran watersJuly 30th, 2011 - 11:25 am ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, July 30 (IANS/EFE) Honduran authorities and the US Coast Guard found 2.5 tonnes of cocaine aboard a small submarine that was scuttled by its crew off the Central American country’s Caribbean coast.
The submarine was apparently designed to carry as much as five tonnes of drugs and the search of the wreckage will continue, Honduran armed forces chief Rene Osorio told reporters in Tegucigalpa.
Washington plans to request that both the cocaine and the four crew members in custody be turned over to the US, Osorio said.
The suspects were apprehended July 13 after scuttling the submarine and fleeing in a dinghy as units of the Honduran navy and US Coast Guard closed in on the vessel.
It was not until this week, however, that Coast Guard divers located the submarine on the sea floor at a spot some 16 nautical miles off the coast of Cruta.
Authorities suspect the submarine’s journey began in Colombia, one of the world’s leading producers of cocaine.
- Seven tonnes of cocaine found in submarine - Jul 31, 2011
- Honduran police find burnt aircraft - Dec 20, 2011
- One killed as drug plane makes forced landing in Honduras - Jul 04, 2012
- US Coast Guard seizes ship with 3.5 tonnes cocaine - Aug 06, 2010
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- US Coast Guard seizes 1.4 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 08, 2010
- Colombian navy seizes tonne of cocaine - Sep 12, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- US seizes $26 mn cocaine shipment - Jul 04, 2012
- Police seize 460 kg of cocaine in Honduras - Oct 08, 2010
- High-tech drug submarine seized in Colombia - Sep 27, 2011
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Colombian authorities seize tonne of cocaine - Jan 31, 2010
- Assailants kill two wounded men at Honduran hospital - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,