Coalmine blast kills 14 in Pakistan (Lead)March 6th, 2009 - 1:18 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 5 (Xinhua) Fourteen people were killed and 19 injured Thursday in a powerful explosion at a coalmine in southwestern Pakistan, a media report said.
The incident took place in Sorenj area, some 20 km east of the Balochistan provincial capital of Quetta, the official Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
Fourteen bodies were retrieved from the site and the rescue operation has ended, police officer Sorenj Tariq said.
The 19 injured miners were admitted to the Bolan Medical College Hospital for treatment, the report said.
Some miners died in suffocation while the rest were burnt to death after the blast, it said.
Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation (PMDC) owns the coalmine.
An investigation was launched into the incident.
- 19 workers die in Balochistan coalmine blast, 32 still trapped inside mine - Mar 21, 2011
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Train bombing attempt foiled in Pakistan - Aug 20, 2012
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
- Railway track blown up in Pakistan - Jul 30, 2011
- Two dead in Pakistan stadium blast (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Five hurt in Quetta blast - Sep 27, 2010
- 11 killed in Pakistan hotel blast - Aug 14, 2011
- Gas leak kills eight miners in Pakistan - Jan 04, 2009
- Toll in Pakistan mine blast rises to 24 - Mar 21, 2011
- Five killed in Pakistan train attack - Aug 28, 2011
- On Pakistan Independence Day, blasts, accidents kill 39 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Gunmen execute 10 road workers in southwest Pakistan - Sep 15, 2012
- Moderate quake hits Balochistan - May 25, 2012
- 19 NATO tankers torched in Pakistan - Aug 22, 2011