Coalition soldier, militants killed in AfghanistanAugust 6th, 2008 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Aug 6 (DPA) A US-led coalition soldier and several Taliban militants were killed in a series of clashes and an explosion in Afghanistan, officials said Wednesday. The soldier died of wounds he sustained during a roadside blast in the western region Monday, the US military said in a statement.
The nationality of the deceased soldier was not disclosed. Most of the soldiers under the coalition banner are from the US.
The Afghan ministry of defence said Wednesday that its forces killed four “enemies” in Delaram district of Farah province in the west of the country.
The statement did not give more details on how and when the militants were killed.
Several other militants were killed and two were detained in Nijrab district of north-eastern province of Kapisa Tuesday, a separate US military statement said.
The firefight erupted when coalition soldiers searched a compound in the district where they targeted a Taliban commander who conducted attacks against Afghan and coalition forces, the statement said.
The combined forces discovered home-made-bomb materials and barricade-type prepared fighting positions inside the compound and destroyed them, it added.
More than 2,500 people, most of them militants and civilians, have been killed in insurgent violence and security operations in Afghanistan this year.
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan attack - Jan 22, 2012
- France suspends operations in Afghanistan after Afghan soldier kills 4 troops - Jan 21, 2012
- Italian soldier killed in Afghanistan - Mar 25, 2012
- Afghan police kill 15 militants, detain 11 - Aug 23, 2012
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- Eight die as Taliban attack Afghan governor - Sep 03, 2012
- 61 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills NATO soldier - Feb 01, 2012
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
- 15 killed in pre-election Afghan violence - Sep 16, 2010
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills four soldiers - Jan 20, 2012
- Afghan, NATO soldiers among 24 killed in Afghanistan - May 09, 2010
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- Afghan, NATO forces kill 80 Taliban fighters (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- 27 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: barricade, bomb materials, civilians, clashes, coalition banner, coalition forces, dpa, enemies, firefight, insurgent violence, kabul, kapisa, ministry of defence, nationality, north eastern province, security operations, soldier, taliban, taliban commander, us military