Clinton’s new tactics to counter pirates include snatching their bootyApril 16th, 2009 - 12:52 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Apr 16 (ANI): US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has announced new plans to battle the pirates in Gulf of Aden, which includes snatching their stolen booty, as the war on pirates escalated sharply in the Indian Ocean.
“We may be dealing with a 17th century crime, but we need to bring 21st century solutions to bear. Those plotting attacks must be stopped, and those who have carried them out must be brought to justice,” the Daily News quoted Clinton, as saying.
Amid new pirate threats to kill Americans, the Obama Administration is convening an emergency summit tomorrow to coordinate the State, Defense, Justice, Transportation and Homeland Security departments on the “scourge of piracy”.
Clinton said she would work with the Somali Government to crack down on pirate dens and make marine marauding less appealing to young Somali men; enlist foreign governments, shipping firms and insurance companies to better coordinate security and counterattacks, and try to seize the pirates’ assets.
“They’re buying faster and more capable vessels. There are ways to crack down on companies that would do business with pirates,” she said.
Earlier, angry pirates who fired grenades at another American relief ship called it revenge for Sunday’s rescue of Captain Richard Phillips by Navy Seals who killed his three pirate captors. (ANI)
- Tom Hanks to play Capt. Phillips in Somali Pirates movie - Mar 17, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Germany calls for prosecution of Somali pirates - Jun 22, 2011
- UN chief appalled by Somali pirates' killing of Americans - Feb 23, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- US announces steps to counter piracy - Apr 16, 2009
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- Tom Hanks to star in Somali pirates movie - Mar 17, 2011
- India, UAE to work together to counter piracy - May 18, 2012
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack U.S.-operated container ship - Dec 11, 2010
- Five arrested Somali pirates face life terms for attacking US Navy ship - Nov 26, 2010
- South Asian nations seek total elimination of piracy - Nov 18, 2011
- UK Navy gave captured Somali pirates 'halal meat', nicotine patch before released - Apr 12, 2011
- Family seeks release of Indian sailor from pirates - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: 17th century, booty, captain richard, century solutions, emergency summit, grenades, gulf of aden, hillary clinton, insurance companies, navy seals, pirate, pirates, relief ship, richard phillips, scourge, security departments, shipping firms, somali government, somali men, us secretary of state