Clinton to be first US secretary of state to visit ChennaiJuly 9th, 2011 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 9 (IANS) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who is leading a high-level delegation to New Delhi for the second round of strategic dialogue July 19, will also visit Chennai.
It will be the first visit of a US secretary of state to the southern city. Clinton had last visited India in July 2009 to kick off the first round of strategic dialogue with New Delhi.
Announcing Clinton’s itinerary, a State Department statement here Friday said that Clinton will travel to India “for the second round of the US-India Strategic Dialogue, which will take place in New Delhi on July 19, 2011. The Secretary will lead the US delegation, accompanied by a high-level group of senior administration officials”.
The statement said: “The depth of the US-India Strategic Dialogue demonstrates the United States’ strong support for India as an important actor on the world stage and is representative of the broad and multifaceted US-India relationship.”
“The partnership between the world’s two largest democracies covers issues ranging from counter-terrorism and defense cooperation to climate change, high-tech trade, and scientific innovation.”
Clinton will be the first US secretary of state to visit Chennai “which has emerged as a hub for the trade, investment, and people-to-people engagement that is driving the US-India relationship”, according to the statement.
Before landing in New Delhi, Clinton will travel to Turkey and Greece.
- Hillary Clinton to visit India, China, Bangladesh - Apr 27, 2012
- Hillary Clinton to visit India next month - Apr 27, 2012
- Chinese president meets Clinton - Sep 05, 2012
- We'll be happy if Hillary visits Kolkata: Mamata - Apr 27, 2012
- Clinton in Beijing for strategic, economic dialogue - May 02, 2012
- Hillary coming to India in July for talks (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Apr 20, 2011
- Clinton visit: US firms to showcase counter-terror innovations - Jul 17, 2011
- Clinton begins India visit: Terror, AfPak, n-deal top agenda (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Three keys to make India-US ties soar - Jul 16, 2012
- Delhi to host US-India women's dialogue - Jul 19, 2011
- Clinton to come to India in July: Krishna - Apr 19, 2011
- India puts off US strategic dialogue due to state polls - Mar 11, 2011
- India, US pledge to consult each other on global, strategic issues - Jun 04, 2010
- India, Malaysia to hold strategic dialogue this week - Apr 10, 2012
- India, US vow to cooperate on terror - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: administration officials, climate change, counter terrorism, defense cooperation, democracies, dialogue, first us secretary of state, high level group, hillary clinton, hub, india relationship, itinerary, level delegation, New Delhi, secretary of state, senior administration, state department statement, trade investment, us secretary of state, world stage