Clinton terms anti-Islam video ‘disgusting’September 14th, 2012 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 13 (IANS) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Thursday slammed the anti-Islam video that has triggered waves of anti-US protests in a number of Muslim countries, terming it “disgusting and reprehensible”.
In a televised speech, Clinton stressed that the US government has nothing to do with the video, Xinhua reported.
The secretary of state said there was “no justification” for responding to this video with violence.
Clinton urged leaders of other countries to stand up and condemn the violence.
“It is especially wrong for violence to be directed against diplomatic missions. These are places whose very purpose is to promote better understanding across countries and cultures,” Xinhua quoted her as saying.
On Tuesday night, protesters stormed the US consulate in Benghazi, and set fire to the building, killing the US ambassador and three other staffers to protest against the video allegedly ridiculing Prophet Mohammad.
The film also ignited protests in Yemen, Iran and Egypt.
- US warns of more violence over anti-Islam video - Sep 14, 2012
- UN chief slams `hateful film', calls for calm - Sep 14, 2012
- Syrian opposition group decries insult to Prophet Mohammad - Sep 14, 2012
- Iranians protest anti-Islam movie - Sep 13, 2012
- US ambassador killed in Libya attack - Sep 12, 2012
- US on alert as protests over anti-Islam video spread (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Ayatollah Khamenei blames US, Israel for anti-Islam movie - Sep 14, 2012
- J&K; wants anti-Islam video blocked - Sep 14, 2012
- Pakistan blocks over 700 anti-Islam YouTube links - Sep 17, 2012
- UN's Ban calls for restraint amid Middle East protests and violence - Sep 17, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in attack over movie (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- US ambassador killed in Libya attack (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Obama condemns US envoy's killing in Libya - Sep 12, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi consulate attack (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- French embassies face closure over prophet's cartoon - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: ambassador, benghazi, countries and cultures, diplomatic missions, hillary clinton, islam, justification, muslim countries, prophet mohammad, protesters, secretary of state, set fire, staffers, tuesday night, us government, us secretary of state, violence, waves, xinhua, yemen