Clinton rejects Gaddafi’s ‘end NATO strike appeal’ to ’son’ ObamaApril 7th, 2011 - 3:21 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 7(ANI): U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has rebuffed Libyan dictator Muammar al-Gaddafi’s ‘end NATO strike appeal’ to US President Barack Obama.
Obama has received a three-page letter from Gaddafi urging him to intervene and stop the Western air campaign against his forces.
However, Clinton insisted that the Libyan leader must withdraw his forces and go into exile.
“Gaddafi knows what he must do. There needs to be a ceasefire, his forces need to withdraw from the cities that they have forcibly taken at great violence and human cost,” Sky News quoted Clinton, as saying.
“There needs to be a decision made about his departure from power and his departure from Libya,” she added.
Referring to Obama as “our son”, Gaddafi had urged the US President to end an “unjust war against a small people of a developing country”.
“You are in a position to keep NATO off the Libyan affair for good. Our dear son, Excellency, Baraka Hussein Abu oumama, your intervention is the name of the USA is a must, so that NATO would withdraw finally from the Libyan affair,” Gaddafi wrote in the letter.
“You will always remain our son whatever happened. We endeavor and hope that you will gain victory in the new election campaign. You are a man who has enough courage to annul a wrong and mistaken action,” he added.
Gaddafi’s appeal to Obama came as Libyan rebels regained ground in a new advance on an oil port. (ANI)
- U.S., allies secretly seeking refuge for Gaddafi - Apr 17, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi building civilian army with armed Libyan teenagers - Apr 28, 2011
- Libyan Govt. warns of more 'action' after taking over crucial towns - Mar 11, 2011
- International coalition divided over goals, exit strategy for Libya - Mar 25, 2011
- Anti-Gaddafi forces claim of being offered to negotiate terms over dictator's departure - Mar 09, 2011
- World leaders at G8 summit call for Gaddafi to step down - May 28, 2011
- US-led assault nears goals in Libya, European allies likely to take over command - Mar 22, 2011
- Gaddafi told endgame is near: Medvedev's envoy to Africa - Jun 14, 2011
- Gaddafi's son killed in NATO airstrike: Report - May 01, 2011
- Ongoing joint military operation in Libya can last long: Obama - Mar 23, 2011
- Clinton urges western powers to increase pressure on Gaddafi - Mar 30, 2011
- NATO urged to adopt Gaddafi's assassination policy - Apr 25, 2011
- Gaddafi's rule in Libya has come to an end: Obama - Aug 22, 2011
- 'Ex-Gaddafi regime members in Libyan governing council still loyal to him' - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: air campaign, barack obama, baraka, ceasefire, dear son, developing country, dictator, election campaign, exile, hillary clinton, libya, libyan leader, muammar al gaddafi, nato, nato strike, oil port, rebels, secretary of state, sky news, unjust war