Clinton meets head of OICFebruary 16th, 2010 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Jeddah, Feb 16 (DPA) US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton met Tuesday with the General Secretary of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu in Jeddah.
Clinton told reporters after the behind-closed-doors meeting that they had agreed on a plan to support joint action between the US and the OIC. This is the first visit by a US Secretary of State to the OIC’s headquarters in Saudi Arabia.
US President Barack Obama announced at the weekend the appointment of a special envoy, Rashad Hussain, to the OIC. Obama said Hussain was an accomplished lawyer and a close and trusted member of the White House staff who knows the Koran by heart.
Clinton arrived in Saudi Arabia Monday where she met with King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz and his foreign minister, Prince Saud al-Faisal, in Riyadd.
Discussions there ranged across Afghanistan, Pakistan, as well as Yemen and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
“We also discussed Iran’s increasingly disturbing and destabilising actions,” she said late Monday in Riyadh.
“We are working actively with our regional and international partners in the context of our dual-track approach to prepare and implement new measures to convince Iran to change its course,” added Clinton.
Monday, during her visit to Doha, Clinton said she feared Iran is becoming a “military dictatorship” as the country’s Revolutionary Guard takes on more power.
She said the US would use diplomacy to put pressure on the Revolutionary Guard, which she said “is supplanting the government of Iran”.
Tuesday, Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki responded saying that militarised US policies in Afghanistan, Iraq and Lebanon and the killing of innocent civilians “were real symbols of military dictatorship”.
- OIC condemns Delhi blast - Sep 08, 2011
- Saudi Islamic summit to discuss Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- Avoid civilian casualties in Libya: OIC - Mar 24, 2011
- Clinton arrives in Riyadh for talks on Iran, Israel - Feb 15, 2010
- Iran is becoming a military dictatorship: Clinton - Feb 16, 2010
- Gilani seeks constant OIC support on Kashmir issue - Jan 12, 2011
- UAE reiterates support to Myanmar Muslims - Jul 14, 2012
- Muslim states vow one billion dollar aid to flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 30, 2010
- Zardari to attend Islamic meet in Saudi Arabia - Jul 29, 2012
- Clinton to hold Iran accountable for Saudi envoy plot - Oct 13, 2011
- US exempts India from Iran oil sanctions (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- US exempts seven countries from sanctions - Jun 12, 2012
- New round of Iranian nuclear talks set in Turkey - Apr 01, 2012
- India under pressure to cut oil imports from Iran: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- Clinton says diplomacy with Iran not infinite - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: abdullah bin abdul aziz, afghanistan iraq, afghanistan pakistan, barack obama, closed doors, dual track, hillary rodham clinton, innocent civilians, international partners, iranian foreign minister, iranian foreign minister manouchehr mottaki, israeli palestinian conflict, king abdullah, military dictatorship, oic, organisation of the islamic conference, prince saud al faisal, saud al faisal, track approach, us secretary of state