Clinton hopes Russia, China will change stance on SyriaFebruary 25th, 2012 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Feb 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton hopes the international community will help convince Russia and China to change their stance on Syria.Russia and China, the two veto-wielding UN Security Council members, earlier in February blocked a resolution that called on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down.
“They must understand they are setting themselves against the aspirations not only of the Syrian people but of the entire Arab Spring, the Arab Awakening,” Clinton said Friday at a news conference during the meeting of the Friends of Syria Group in Tunisia.
“The sooner the Russians and the Chinese move toward supporting action in the Security Council, the sooner we can get a resolution that would permit us to take the kind of steps that we all know need to be taken,” she added.
Syria for almost a year is living under continuous anti-government protests. According to the UN, the total number of victims in the country has exceeded 5,400 people. Syrian authorities say over 2,000 military and law enforcement officials were killed in clashes with well-armed militants.
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- China calls for peaceful solution to Syrian crisis - Feb 25, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia, Iran oppose foreign interference in Syria - Feb 23, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia not considering sheltering Syrian president - Mar 08, 2012
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Russian embassy in Libya stormed over veto on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- Still time to avoid civil war in Syria, says Hollande - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: aspirations, bashar al assad, cairo, clashes, hillary clinton, law enforcement officials, news conference, president bashar, protests, ria novosti, russians, secretary of state, security council members, syria, syrian authorities, syrian president bashar al, un security council, un security council members, us secretary of state, veto