Clinton evolves into Obama’s `Mr. Fix It’May 29th, 2010 - 4:37 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 29 (ANI): Former US president Bill Clinton has in the last 18 months become indispensable in a way for incumbent Barack Obama in ways many in his administration did not anticipate.
According to the Washington Post, Clinton has become a roving, always on-call fixer who lends his political skills to help Obama and the Democrats in tough situations.
Clinton is campaigning and raising money in places where Obama is less (or less than) welcome.
And, as was revealed Friday, he has been an intermediary on sensitive, off-the-grid conversations with candidates such as Rep. Joe Sestak (D-Pa.), whom he tried — on behalf of the White House — to talk out of running for the Senate.
One of Clinton’s lowest political moments as president was when his party lost both houses of Congress in 1994. Now, with Obama’s Democratic majority similarly imperiled, 44 is turning to 42 for help.
The Republicans have taken notice, suggesting that Clinton might play a bigger role this cycle than Obama.
Clinton’s relationship with Obama was strained through much of the 2008 campaign, but things between them improved when Obama appointed Hillary Rodham Clinton Secretary of State.
Obama’s chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, a former Clinton aide and confidant, helped ease the tension.
Clinton and Obama have appeared together at least 11 times since Obama’s inauguration, including on Thursday, when the two lunched at the White House. (ANI)
- Rahm Emanuel Desires To Occupy The Post Of The Chicago Mayor - Apr 21, 2010
- Ex-aide Obama wins Chicago mayoral vote - Feb 23, 2011
- Democratic Supreme Court puts Rahm Emanuel Back on Mayor Ballot - Jan 26, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel Resigns As Chief Of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- Bill Clinton spoke with Sestak to drop primary challenge against Sen. Specter in exchange for job - May 28, 2010
- Is Rahm Emanuel going to quit from the White House position? - Jun 22, 2010
- Illinois Appellate Court Bars Rahm Emanuel From Contesting In Elections For Mayor - Jan 25, 2011
- Obama campaign reaches out to Indian Americans - Feb 24, 2012
- Obama campaign reaches out to Indian Americans (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Obama's insular White House worries his allies - Dec 25, 2010
- Eva Longoria and Kal Penn join Obama's re-election campaign - Feb 24, 2012
- Democratic favouritism outlines Trump political donation history - Apr 27, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel departs as White House Chief of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- Five things you didn't know about Obama as President - Oct 04, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel Reported To Run For Chicago Mayor - Jan 06, 2010
Tags: barack obama, bill clinton, chief of staff, clinton aide, clinton secretary of state, confidant, conversations, democratic majority, hillary rodham clinton, inauguration, joe sestak, president bill clinton, rahm emanuel, raising money, rep joe sestak, republicans, secretary of state, us president bill, us president bill clinton, washington post