Clinton condemns killing of four Americans by piratesFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 3:41 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 23 (IANS) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Tuesday strongly condemned the killing of four Americans by pirates off Somalia, calling for “continued international progress” toward confronting the menace posed by piracy, Xinhua reported. “This deplorable act firmly underscores the need for continued international progress toward confronting the shared security challenge posed by piracy in the waters off the Horn of Africa,” Clinton said in a statement.
The victims’ yacht, the S/V Quest, was seized by pirates off the coast of Oman last Friday. It had since been shadowed by the US military. The hostages were killed Tuesday during an attempt to free them.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said that President Barack Obama had authorized the use of force over the weekend in case of an imminent threat to the hostages.
The US Central Command said that two pirates were also killed and 13 others captured and detained in the hostage drama.
“Our deepest sympathies go out to the victims’ families at this time,” Clinton said. “We will honor their memory by continuing to strengthen international partnerships in order to bring these maritime criminals to justice.”
She added: “The United States encourages those members of the international community concerned about stability in Somalia and piracy to contribute to AMISOM (the African Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia) by providing material, financial and logistical support.
“The United States also encourages additional African contributions to the AMISOM peacekeeping force.”
- India concerned over piracy, backs Somalia stability - Feb 24, 2012
- Somali leader backs Indian action against pirates (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Somali pirate who abducted Indians jailed in US - Aug 23, 2012
- India pledges support to global efforts to tackle piracy - Oct 20, 2011
- India committed to work towards peace in Somalia - Mar 11, 2011
- At India's call, UNSC condemns hostage taking by Somalian pirates - Apr 12, 2011
- UN chief appalled by Somali pirates' killing of Americans - Feb 23, 2011
- Will support Indian military action against pirates: Somali leader - May 15, 2012
- India, UAE to work together to counter piracy - May 18, 2012
- Growing piracy close to India raises concern - Apr 21, 2012
- UNSC discusses piracy in Gulf of Guinea - Oct 20, 2011
- Kenya to deploy 4,600 soldiers in Somalia - Mar 13, 2012
- Tenth Somali pirate pleads guilty in pirate attack that left 4 Americans killed - May 27, 2011
- UN condemns Somalia suicide attack - Oct 05, 2011
- India ready to join global efforts to tackle piracy - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,