Clinton arrives in Myanmar for first official visitNovember 30th, 2011 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 30 (IANS) Hillary Clinton arrived in Myanmar capital Nay Pyi Taw Wednesday for the first official visit in more than 50 years by a US secretary of state to the country, where she will also meet Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
The three-day visit aims to look into Myanmar’s political and economic reforms, enhance US cooperation in the positive developments and open a new chapter in mutual relations, Xinhua reported.
Then secretary of state John Foster Dulles visited Myanmar in February 1955.
Clinton is expected to meet President U Thein Sein, Foreign Minister U Wunna Maung Lwin and parliament speakers U Khin Aung Myint and U Shwe Mann in Nay Pyi Taw.
She will meet Suu Kyi, the leader of the National League for Democracy, in Yangon.
State department spokesman Mark Toner said Clinton will register support for Myanmar’s reforms witnessed in recent months and discuss key areas as well as steps America can take to reinforce the progress.
He said Clinton will also consult a “broad and diverse group” of civil society and ethnic minority leaders to have their perspectives on developments in the country.
US President Barack Obama said his country wanted to seize this historic opportunity and forge a new relationship with Myanmar.
The new government in Myanmar took office March 30. It has since been pushing for political and economic reforms in the country. The moves won the country the chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) for 2014, said Xinhua.
- France, Myanmar hold talks - Jan 16, 2012
- French foreign minister visits Myanmar - Jan 15, 2012
- Canadian foreign minister visits Myanmar - Mar 08, 2012
- British foreign secretary visits Myanmar - Jan 05, 2012
- British foreign secretary meets Myanmarese president (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Hague praises Myanmar reforms - Jan 06, 2012
- Clinton wraps up Myanmar visit - Dec 02, 2011
- Myanmar president meets UN chief - Apr 30, 2012
- Zardari visits Myanmar - Jan 25, 2012
- Krishna lands in Myanmar capital - Jun 21, 2011
- Myanmar's first vice president resigns - Jul 04, 2012
- Myanmar president meets top UN envoy - Feb 15, 2012
- Myanmar president meets leaders of 14 political parties - Aug 04, 2012
- Krishna wraps up Myanmar engagement; focus on capacity building (Roudnup) - Jun 22, 2011
- Ban arrives in Myanmar - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,