Clergy celibacy may be open to review, says VaticanApril 28th, 2010 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
Vatican City, April 28 (IANS/AKI) The vow of celibacy by the clergy may be open to review, the Vatican’s second highest ranking official has said.
“It is not that it is untouchable,” Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone was quoted as saying by Spain’s Catalan public television Tuesday.
“There are married priests in the Catholic as well as oriental church,” Bertone said.
But clerical celibacy is a “positive and fruitful tradition”, the top Vatican official said adding, “It is the non-respect of celibacy that brings with it serious risks and that then has very painful consequences”.
Bertone, however, said there was no link between celibacy and the sexual abuse incidents the Catholic Church has been besieged with.
“There is no direct link between celibacy and the deviant behaviour of certain priests,” he said. “On the contrary, it is precisely the failure to remain celibate that gradually degrades the life of a priest, until he ceases to be an example, a gift, a spiritual guide for others.”
The Catholic Church has been accused of being involved in a number of paedophilia cases in several countries including Germany, Austria, Italy and Ireland. Pope Benedict XVI had expressed his “shame and sorrow” when he met a few victims in Malta earlier this month.
The pope, however, did not offer a formal apology.
- Hague court asked to prosecute Pope over sex abuse - Sep 14, 2011
- Vatican urges prudence in assessing WikiLeaks documents - Dec 14, 2010
- Sex abuse 'victim' to sue the Pope in US - Apr 23, 2010
- Pope calls for Church to reflect on what led to abuse - Dec 21, 2010
- 4,000 cases of Catholic priests abusing kids probed - Feb 08, 2012
- Sex abuse victims meet Vatican spokesman - Nov 02, 2010
- Media has tarnished Vatican's image: Pope - May 31, 2012
- 70 Belgians to sue Vatican for clerical sex abuse - Apr 30, 2011
- Pope can't cook, says brother - Apr 04, 2012
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Pope believed 'priests should be allowed to have sex' - Feb 07, 2011
- Muslims, Catholics hold inter-faith meet in Vatican - Jul 12, 2012
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012
- Galileo documents to be shown for first time - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: benedict xvi, bertone, cardinal tarcisio bertone, celibate, clergy, clerical celibacy, deviant behaviour, formal apology, germany austria, married priests, oriental church, painful consequences, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, public television, sexual abuse, spiritual guide, vatican city, vatican official, vow of celibacy