Clarke hails Ponting as a ‘great leader’June 28th, 2008 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, June 28 (IANS) Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke has hailed skipper Ricky Ponting as “the greatest leader in the world”. Playing in the second one-day international against the West Indies Friday, Ponting became the second Australian after Steve Waugh to reach 300 games and extended his record as the world’s most successful one-day captain with 128 wins.
After taking a 2-0 lead over the Carribeans, Clarke revealed the Australian team’s desire to win one for the skipper in his 300th one-day international.
Ponting is known to be reluctant to talk about his achievements but Clarke said the rest of the team were well aware of Ponting’s standing.
“We have the greatest leader in the world,” Clarke was quoted as saying in Daily Telegraph Saturday.
“He is a freak. That’s his strength: he never, ever talks about himself, he never gets carried away with what he’s achieved, but I think everyone else does in the team.
“I think that was certainly another thing in all the guys’ minds today before we walked out onto the field to try and get that win for Punter, because he has certainly earned all the praise he gets, plus a lot more.
“He is one of the most modest guys I have met, and when you achieve certain goals, he certainly deserves the praise.”
- Clarke says Ponting's ODI career may not be over (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Ponting gave me freedom to be the captain I wanted to be: Clarke - Apr 21, 2011
- Clarke will also turn out to be champion leader: Rixon - Aug 20, 2011
- Clarke admits role in Ponting's axing - Feb 23, 2012
- Ponting survives axe, CA endorses him as skipper - Dec 31, 2010
- Relationship with Ponting won't be strained: Clarke - Feb 24, 2012
- Ponting will be remembered as one of Australia's great captains: Mark Waugh - Mar 29, 2011
- Clarke named new Australia captain - Mar 30, 2011
- Twitter posts not helping Clarke's public image - Jan 25, 2011
- "I'm not going to be the new Ricky Ponting", says new Australian captain Clarke - Mar 30, 2011
- New Oz captain Clarke hoping to earn respect of his doubters - Mar 31, 2011
- Ponting quits as captain, wants Clarke to succeed him - Mar 29, 2011
- Shane Watson gets first taste of Australian captaincy - Jul 14, 2011
- I am not the right guy for number three: Clarke - May 17, 2010
- Bellerive Oval doesn't seem to miss Ponting - Feb 24, 2012