Claims that prisoners being harassed at US “secret jail” in AfghanistanOctober 16th, 2010 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, Oct 16 (ANI): There have been repeated allegations from ex-detainees that prisoners are being abused at a “secret jail” at Bagram airbase, the main American military base in Afghanistan, according to a report from a US policy think tank.
According to the New York-based Open Society Foundations, 18 ex-detainees have complained that they were held at a secret site or the “black jail”, during 2009 and 2010 and added that they were deprived of sleep and held in cold isolation cells.
The inmates further alleged that that they were exposed to excessive cold and light, not given enough food or blankets, deprived of sleep, stripped naked for medical examinations and not allowed to practise their religion, the BBC reports.
“Given the consistency of the accounts, the Open Society Foundations believes these are genuine areas of concern, and not outliers, that run counter to US rules on detainee treatment,” the report said.
The author of the report, Jonathan Horowitz said: “We’re not talking about being threatened to death in interrogation with drills to their head, we’re talking about run-of-the-mill detention conditions that when seen as a whole create a very troubling pattern.”
The US military, however, have denied allegations that it was operating a secret jail and added that all its detention centres complied with US and international laws.
“The Department of Defence does not operate any secret prisons,” Captain Pamela Kunze, a spokeswoman for the US military task force overseeing detentions in Afghanistan, said. (ANI)
- NATO denies running secret prison in Afghanistan - Oct 19, 2010
- Red Cross Confirms Secret Jail: "Black Prison" - May 12, 2010
- Red Cross confirms that there is a secret jail in Bagram, Afghanistan - May 12, 2010
- Attack on US airbase in Afghanistan kills two - Mar 06, 2012
- 265 Pakistanis being held in Afghanistan jails: Report - Jan 25, 2011
- Red Cross Confirms The Existence Of Secret Prison At Bagram Air Base - May 15, 2010
- US hands over key prison to Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
- 26 Taliban inmates released after Afghan jirga deal - Jun 22, 2010
- Red Cross Corroborates The Existence Of A Secret Jail At Bagram In Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- Pak Foreign Office completely inefficient, insincere, says rights body chief - Jan 18, 2010
- US to hand over control of Afghan detention centre - Mar 10, 2012
- Four killed in Afghanistan Quran burning protests (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Quran burning protests rage in Afghanistan - Feb 22, 2012
- Seven killed in Afghan clashes against Quran burning - Feb 24, 2012
- 15 Pak citizens detained at Bagram airbase in Afghanistan: Brit NGO - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: afghanistan kabul, allegations, american military base, bagram airbase, blankets, consistency, department of defence, detentions, foundations, horowitz, inmates, interrogation, isolation cells, medical examinations, military task, pamela, prisoners, prisons, spokeswoman, task force