CIA’s Panetta visited Israel to stop it from bombing Iranian nuclear plantMay 15th, 2009 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, May 15 (ANI): Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) chief Leon Panetta was sent on a secret mission to Israel to warn its leaders not to launch a surprise attack on Iran without notifying Washington.
As Binyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, prepares to visit Washington, it emerged yesterday that Panetta, went to Israel two weeks ago to seek assurances from Netanyahu and Defence Minister Ehud Barak that their hawkish new Government would not attack Iran without alerting Washington.
Concerns have been rising that Netanyahu could launch a strike on Tehran’s atomic programme, in the same way that Israel hit Saddam Hussein’s Osirak reactor in 1981.
According to The Times, Israel has been preparing for such an eventuality. It has carried out long-distance manoeuvres and is due to hold its largest civil defence drills this summer.
The country’s leaders reportedly told Panetta that they did not “intend to surprise the US on Iran”.
During his visit to Washington, Netanyahu will meet Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama, whom he will try to convince of the need for tougher action against Iran.
Obama favours trying to engage Tehran, but his efforts have been received coolly by President Ahmadinejad.
The Israeli leader is expected to insist that the US stays focused on Iran, rather than tackling stalled talks with the Palestinians. (ANI)
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- Wikileaks expose: Saudi Arabia urges US attack on Iran - Nov 29, 2010
- US funding for Israeli air defence - May 18, 2012
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- Israeli PM seeks world to set 'red line' for Iran - Sep 03, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Panetta vows military action against Iran - Mar 07, 2012
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Israel 'plans attack on Tehran within months' - Feb 04, 2012
- Israel closely monitoring Syrian violence - Jul 19, 2012
- Israel preparing to attack Iran: Report - Aug 17, 2012
- Israeli defence minister heads to US to discuss Iran - Feb 27, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- We can't wait long for diplomacy to work: Israel PM - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: assurances, barack obama, binyamin netanyahu, central intelligence agency, cia chief, civil defence, defence minister, ehud barak, eventuality, hillary clinton, israeli leader, israeli prime minister, leon panetta, manoeuvres, nuclear plant, osirak, reactor, saddam hussein, surprise attack, tehran