CIA ’secret army’ seeks to destroy Syria: ReportAugust 9th, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 9 (IANS) An American author and historian says a “secret army” of US spy agency CIA has the goal of destroying the Syrian state, Iran’s Press TV reported Thursday.
“It’s a secret army of the CIA if you will and the goal is to destroy the Syrian state,” Webster Griffin Tarpley told Press TV.
“Recent news reports indicate that the so-called Free Syrian Army, the death squads are focusing on killing government officials even if they’re in the civil service… the government is targeted,” Tarpley said.
“They’re also attempting to kill scientists because these people are also considered to be the supporters of (President Bashar) Assad and as we’ve seen on July 18 a huge terrorist attack on the Syrian government killing the defence minister and other top personnel,” he said.
On July 18, a bomb attack on the headquarters of the National Security Bureau in Damascus killed Defence Minister Dawoud Rajiha, Deputy Defence Minister Assef Shawkat, and Assistant Vice President Hassan Turkmani.
National Security Bureau chief Hisham Bakhtiar also died of wounds sustained in the attack two days later.
“So there is no doubt this is terrorism. Al Qaeda has always been… the CIA-Arab legion and it continues to do this,” the American author said.
- Syrian defence minister, deputy killed in Damascus bombing (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- US, Israel responsible for Syrian insecurity: Iran - Jul 20, 2012
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Syria situation 'spinning out of control' : US - Jul 19, 2012
- Assad's wife not in Russia: Syrian envoy - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- US slaps sanctions on Syrian defence minister - Mar 31, 2012
- Fresh Syria massacre was planned terror: Syrian envoy - Jun 07, 2012
- Syrian troops kill 25 insurgents in Aleppo - Aug 07, 2012
- Al Qaeda man made himself impotent to focus on jihad - Apr 29, 2011
- Terrorist infiltration attempt foiled in Syria - Apr 28, 2012
- CIA to continue drone attacks in Pak after getting 100% results: Leon Panetta - Sep 30, 2010
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
- No diplomatic immunity for murder-accused US consulate worker: Pak official - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: american author, assef shawkat, assistant vice president, bomb attack, bureau chief, civil service, damascus, death squads, deputy defence minister, government officials, hassan, hisham, no doubt, president bashar assad, secret army, security bureau, spy agency, syrian army, syrian government, webster griffin tarpley