Churchill’’s ‘’sarcastic” letter to Welsh language campaigners up for grabsMarch 2nd, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 2 (ANI): A sarcastic letter written by former British PM Winston Churchill to Welsh language campaigners is expected to fetch 2000 pounds when it goes under the hammer.
In a letter written on December 3 1941, Welsh language campaigners demanded to meet Churchill in lieu of their petition, asking to put the language on the same footing as English in all public services, during World War II.
The petition also demanded to repeal laws preventing Welsh from being used in the Welsh Law Courts.
According to the Telegraph, Churchill wrote in response to the letter: “Much as I should like to meet the deputation of the Welsh Parliamentary Party, I regret that, owing to the many tasks which fall to my lot at this time, it is impossible for me to arrange a date.”
The previously unpublished letters will be auctioned off at a Mullocks Auction at Ludlow Racecourse in Shropshire on March 5. (ANI)
- Mahatma Gandhi's glasses, prayer book up for auction - Apr 02, 2012
- Tipu Sultan painting to be auctioned in Britain - Sep 05, 2012
- Rare World War II photographs of British troops found - May 28, 2009
- British spy sang for Hitler with secret documents in her underwear - Sep 10, 2010
- 30000 pounds for rare copy of Mein Kampf signed by Hitler - Apr 11, 2011
- Sketches of Hitler's artist who erased name from files post war up for grabs - Apr 04, 2011
- Churchill cigar stump sold for more than $7,000 - Jan 31, 2010
- Stalin's death mask sold for 3,600 pounds - Jan 25, 2012
- Gandhi items' auction disappoints collector - Apr 18, 2012
- Churchill's last cigar to be auctioned - Nov 18, 2010
- Tom Jones's employment record discovered - Mar 09, 2010
- Hitler's first self-portrait up for auction - Mar 26, 2009
- Sketch showing Hitler 'playing chess' with Lenin up for grabs - Apr 15, 2010
- Painting by Churchill up for sale - Apr 18, 2011
- Winston Churchill's last ever cigar to go under the hammer - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: 1941, auction, campaigners, deputation, footing, former british pm, grabs, hammer, law courts, london, ludlow racecourse, parliamentary party, petition, shropshire, telegraph, unpublished letters, welsh language, winston churchill, world war ii