Chronology of world’s major quakes since 1900March 11th, 2011 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 11 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 8.9 on the Richter scale that hit east coast of Japan’s Honshu island Friday is one of the most powerful ever measured, according to the China Earthquake Network Center, Xinhua said.
The following is chronology of major quakes measuring over 8 magnitude around the world since 1900:
Jan 31, 1906: An 8.8-magnitude earthquake struck the coasts of Ecuador and Colombia, killing nearly 1,000 people.
May 21, 1960: A 9.5-magnitude quake, the strongest ever after quakes were first recorded in 1900, rocked Chile and killed 1,655 people.
March 27, 1964: An 8.4-magnitude quake hit Alaska, the US, triggering a tsunami and caused casualties and damage.
Dec 26, 2004: An 8.9-magnitude earthquake occurred in the sea off Sumatra island, Indonesia, and triggered a severe tsunami, killing over 220,000 in Indonesia and nearby countries, including India.
March 28, 2005: An 8.5-magnitude quake took place again in the sea off Indonesia’s Sumatra Island, causing heavy casualties and damage.
May 12, 2008: An 8.0-magnitude quake hit southwestern China’s Wenchuan county, killing about 70,000.
Feb 27, 2010: An 8.8-magnitude quake struck southern Chile, claiming over 300 lives and triggering tsunami in the region.
- Tsunamis in the past 10 years - Mar 11, 2011
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Magnitude-5.9 quake hits Japan - Mar 22, 2011
- Quakes rock Japan island (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Earthquake hits Japan - Mar 01, 2012
- Strong quake hits Japan (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits the Banda Sea in Indonesia, no damage - Nov 17, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off eastern Indonesia, causing panic - Nov 14, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: beijing, china earthquake, chronology, coasts, east coast, ecuador, heavy casualties, honshu island, india march, magnitude earthquake, magnitude quake, march 11, nearby countries, quakes, richter scale, southern chile, southwestern china, sumatra island indonesia, tsunami, xinhua