Chronology of some key political events in Pakistan since March 2007November 14th, 2007 - 8:22 am ICT by admin
April to July 2007: Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry undertakes roadshows across Pakistan and addresses legal fraternity gatherings in a bid to gain support for what he terms is his unjustified dismissal.
* July 10, 2007: After a week-long siege, President General Musharraf orders troops to storm the Red Mosque in Islamabad to crush a Taliban-style movement based there. At least 105 people are killed in the raid. A wave of deadly militant attacks and suicide bombings follow.
* July 20, 2007: Supreme Court reinstates Chief Justice Chaudhry, dealing a blow to Musharraf’s authority.
* July 27,2007: Musharraf meets ex-Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in Abu Dhabi to thrash out how to move the country towards a civilian-led democracy. Bhutto sets conditions, including that Musharraf steps down as army chief, talks are inconclusive.
* September 10,2007: Former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is arrested at Islamabad airport after he attempts to enter Pakistan after seven years of exile. The Supreme Court had cleared his return, and is hearing petitions that the government was in contempt of court for putting Sharif on a flight to Saudia Arabia.
* October 2,2007: President General Musharraf designates Lt. General A.Kiyani as his successor as army chief, suggesting that he will step down as the country’s army chief, making good a pledgethat he first made in December 2003. Government announces it is dropping corruption charges against Bhutto, clearing way for her return.
* October 19,2007: About 139 people are killed in an attempted suicide bomb assassination of Bhutto soon after her return to Karachi after eight years of self-imposed exile.
* November 2, 2007: Supreme Court reconvenes to hear challenges whether Musharraf was eligible to stand for re-election by parliament on October 6, while still army chief. His current term expires on November 15. Separately, sources say about 800 people have died, more than half of them in suicide bombings, since the storming of the Red Mosque in July.
* November 3, 2007: Musharraf imposes emergency rule. (ANI)
- PPP leader accuses judiciary of being biased against Zulfikar Bhutto - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan tycoon dares apex court chief justice - Jun 14, 2012
- Musharraf to be arrested on return to Pakistan - Jan 07, 2012
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Pakistan taps Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Mar 01, 2012
- Musharraf told to appear before court for 2007 bloodshed - Feb 24, 2012
- President's office gives Zardari immunity against graft trial - Sep 25, 2010
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Musharraf should be tried by Army: Prosecution lawyer - Jul 31, 2009
- Pakistan apex court chief justice to be honoured - Apr 29, 2012
- President enjoys immunity, Pakistan PM tells apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Army doesn't have answers to Pakistan's problems: Daily - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: army chief, attempted suicide, benazir bhutto, chief justice, democracy, exile, general musharraf, islamabad airport, legal fraternity, minister nawaz sharif, muhammad, pakistan, popularity plummets, president general, prime minister, suicide bombings, supreme court