Christmas carols are being altered to be politically correctDecember 13th, 2008 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 13 (ANI): Many churches are making changes to the original Christmas carols and even removing words like king, son and virgin, to make them politically correct, say reports.
Songs like Hark the Herald Angels Sing and God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen are being altered by the clergy in order to make them more modern and inclusive.
But churchgoers, who complain that the result will be a festive car crash, as not everyone will be singing from the same hymn sheet, are not in favour of the change.
News of the change comes only a day after a Church of England vicar banned his congregation from singing O Little Town of Bethlehem, the reason being that the song does not reflect the modern day plight of its inhabitants.
Other changes included a clergyman rewriting the Twelve Days of Christmas to include Aids victims, drug addicts and hoodies, and removal of the word virgin from God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.
Christian website Ship of Fools is running a competition to find the worst example of a rewritten carol.
It’’s a festive car crash, the Telegraph quoted Steve Goddard, co-editor of the website as saying.
Half the congregation sing familiar words from memory, while the rest stumble over revised alternatives. Our readers are telling us straight for some new versions there should be no room at the inn, he stated.
The altered carols, which can be viewed on the website, show the line Glory to the newborn King from the hymn Hark the Herald Angels Sing replaced by Glory to the Christ child, bring.
The hymn O Come All Ye Faithful has its refrain changed from O come let us adore Him to O come in adoration, the reason given is that the original text sounded sexist.
[One reader] wrote in asking if the original line was considered too gender-specific, Goddard said.
But as he rightly pointed out, Jesus wasn”t hermaphrodite, neither was he a girl, he added.
The altering of lines from the original to make it politically correct saw churchgoers being told not to sing the words all in white during Once in Royal David’’s City in case they appeared racist. (ANI)
- Joy to the World voted Worst Politically-Correct Christmas Carol - Dec 26, 2008
- India rejoices in Christmas revelry with carols, feasts (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Northeast soaked in yuletide spirit - Dec 21, 2011
- Mariah Carey sings Xmas duet with mother - Dec 16, 2010
- Mariah Carey Sings With Her Mother In "Mariah Carey: Merry Christmas To You" - Dec 15, 2010
- 'While shepherds watched' carol was sung to folk song 'Ilkley Moor' tune - Dec 15, 2009
- India celebrates X-mas with carols, joy, feasting (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Christmas carols originated from human speech: Study - Dec 25, 2009
- B-town celebrates Christmas with family, friends - Dec 25, 2011
- UK bishop says traditional carols are 'nonsense' - Nov 30, 2009
- Lutheran Church welcomes Hindu leader on Christmas Eve - Dec 27, 2010
- Carols, crackers mark Christmas in Andhra - Dec 25, 2011
- Mariah Carey Announces The Full Tracklist Of "Merry Christmas II You" - Oct 12, 2010
- Nevada observes 25th Thanksgiving with Christian-Muslim-Hindu-Buddhist-Jewish-Baha'i prayers - Nov 26, 2010
- Christmas celebrated in Punjab, Chandigarh - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: aids victims, car crash, christmas carols, days of christmas, glory to the newborn king, god rest ye, god rest ye merry, god rest ye merry gentlemen, goddard co, hark the herald angels, hark the herald angels sing, herald angels sing, little town of bethlehem, o little town of bethlehem, rest ye merry gentlemen, ship of fools, steve goddard, town of bethlehem, twelve days of christmas, ye merry gentlemen