Chopra slips at close, ends 14th at World Golf ChampionshipsAugust 4th, 2008 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Akron (Ohio), Aug 4 (IANS) Daniel Chopra dropped three bogeys in the last five holes and slipped from a potential top-10 position to tied 14th at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone Country Club. Indo-Swede Chopra totalled three-under 277 for the week with rounds of 67, 74, 66 and 70. He ended seven strokes behind the winner Fiji’s Vijay Singh, who at 45 years of age showed he is still the star.
Chopra chalked up a 70 as he birdied the second, sixth, eighth, and 10th but gave away a bogey on the ninth and he dropped three more on back nine on 14th, 17th and 18th in his final round.
Vijay, a honorary member of the Asian Tour, overcame nervy putting on the final day to lift the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational title. Singh holed a three-foot par putt on the final hole for a two-under-par 68 and a one stroke win over Australia’s Stuart Appleby and England’s Lee Westwood.
The Fijian star recorded five birdies against three bogeys on the way to a winning total of 10-under-par 270 and his first ever triumph at a World Golf Championships event.
It was Singh’s 32nd title on the US PGA Tour which has placed him in the record books for the most number of wins by an international player.
Korea’s Choi Kyung-ju improved with a 68 and finished in a tie for 16th place, a stroke behind Chopra.
Australia’s Scott Strange posted a 72 and was among those who claimed tied 63rd spot after a 287 total and two strokes back was Prayad Marksaeng of Thailand who shot his second straight 73 to end his campaign in joint 68th position.
- Jeev opens with an even par 70, is tied 27th - Aug 07, 2009
- Hedwall wins Women's Indian Open golf, Sharmila top Indian - Dec 11, 2011
- Smriti wins seventh Hero Women's Pro Tour title - Mar 30, 2012
- Jeev slips to tied 36th at WGC-Bridgestone Invitational - Aug 08, 2009
- Mehar Atwal wins Southern India Ladies golf title - Sep 22, 2011
- Ajeetesh, Jaini finish third and fourth at Sail Open golf - Mar 25, 2011
- Top-10 finish for Jeev at Volvo China Open - Apr 24, 2011
- Angad Cheema tied 13th at Faldo Series Asia final - Mar 14, 2012
- Hiratsuka wins dramatic playoff at Black Mountain, Chowrasia 40th - Dec 19, 2010
- Smriti, Rhea and Sharmila start well at European golf pre-qualifiers - Jan 09, 2012
- Honey Baisoya stuns Chikka in Eastern India golf final - Dec 25, 2011
- Luiten wins Iskandar Johor Open golf, Kapur tied 15th - Nov 20, 2011
- Smriti takes big lead at Women's Pro Golf Tour event - Mar 29, 2012
- Syed Saqib wins North India golf title - Mar 16, 2012
- Kruger wins Avantha Masters golf - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: akron ohio, asian tour, birdies, bogey, bogeys, choi kyung, daniel chopra, fijian, firestone country club, foot par putt, honorary member, international player, lee westwood, record books, s scott, stuart appleby, us pga tour, vijay singh, wgc bridgestone, world golf championships