Chong Wei and Rasmussen win Singapore Open badmintonJune 15th, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, June 15 (IANS) Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei outclassed Simon Santoso of Indonesia 21-13, 21-5 to claim the men’s singles title in the Aviva Open Singapore badminton championships here at the Singapore Indoor Stadium Sunday. Denmark’s Tine Rasmussen overcame a stiff resistance from Hong Kong’s Zhou Mi 21-9, 21-17 to take the women’s title, her fourth in the Super Series. She had earlier won the Malaysian Open, Japan Open and the All-England.
Zhou had beaten India’s Saina Nehwal in three hard-fought games Saturday.
Lee swept Simon Santoso off his feet in the final, leaving the 8,200-stong crowd mesmerised with his flawless performance, and taking the winner’s cheque of $15,000 for his 26-minute effort.
Mohammad Zakry Latif and Fairuzizuan Tazary bagged the men’s doubles title, beating Lin Woon Fui and Gan Teik Chai 21-18, 21-17, in an all-Malaysian affair.
Badminton powerhouse China sent a token team here and had only one title to take home, Yu Yang and Du Jing winning the women’s doubles, beating Taipei’s Cheng Wen Hsing and Chien Yu Chin 21-16, 21-19.
The Indonesians also have won one title, Nova Widianto andf Liliyana Natsir beating English pair Anthony Clark-Donna Kellogg 17-21, 21-14, 21-9 in the mixed doubles.
Men’s singles: Lee Chong Wei (Malaysia ) bt Simon Santoso (Indonesia) 21-13, 21-5.
Women’s singles: Tine Rasmussen (Denmark) bt Zhou Mi (Hong Kong) 21-19, 21-17.
Men’s doubles: Mohammed Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari (Malaysia) bt Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui (Malaysia ) 21-18, 21-17.
Women’s doubles: Du Jing-Yu Yang (China) bt Wen Hsin Cheng-Yu Chin Chien (Chinese Taipei) 21-16, 21-19.
Mixed doubles: Nova Widianto-Liliyana Natsir (Indonesia) bt Anthony Clark-Donna Kellogg (England) 17-21, 21-14, 21-9.
- Joergensen wins Copenhagen badminton Masters - Dec 30, 2011
- India Open: Guru Sai Dutt shocks Hashim (Lead, adding results) - Jun 11, 2010
- India Open: Guru Sai Dutt shocks Hashim - Jun 11, 2010
- India Open: Chetan advances to quarters, Jayaram falls short - Jun 10, 2010
- Chen Long, Wang Yihan win singles titles at Japan Open - Sep 25, 2011
- World Badminton men's, women's final to be all Chinese affair (Lead) - Aug 15, 2009
- Sarang, Mutatkar enter Maharashtra badminton quarters - Jul 27, 2012
- India Open: Wan bags men's title, Li lifts women's crown - Apr 29, 2012
- Saina, Chetan sail into third round on a day of upsets - Jun 09, 2010
- Chinese power on show at Asian badminton - Apr 17, 2010
- Cherish to vie for Mumbai badminton triple crown - Aug 17, 2012
- Indian Open: Anand knocked out, Saina reaches final - Jun 12, 2010
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Riya to face Mutatkar in Maharashtra badminton final - Jul 29, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: abdul latif, aviva open singapore, cheng yu, chien yu, chinese taipei, flawless performance, lee chong wei, lee chong wei malaysia, mesmerised, minute effort, mohd fairuzizuan mohd tazari, nova widianto, open japan, results men, saina nehwal, simon santoso, singapore badminton, singapore indoor stadium, stiff resistance, zakry latif