Chinese workers producing cheap computers for UK in slave like conditionsFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 5:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 23 (ANI): Chinese factory workers are working in slave like conditions to produce cheap computers for Britain.
An undercover team found that factory workers have long 12-hour shifts and female workers are not allowed to leave their seats or go to the toilet outside their break times. They earn 29 paise per hour.
Investigators claim that workers are often left with sore and swollen hands with guards patrolling with cameras, waiting to catch anyone resting or closing their eyes, The Mirror reported.
After finishing their shifts, workers sleep in tiny metal bunk beds, squeezed 10 or 12 into tiny, and squalid dormitories.
The horrific conditions came to light when investigators from the US-based National Labour Committee secretly contacted workers at the Metai factory in Dongguan City, helping them to smuggle out pay slips, copies of company rules and pictures taken inside the plant.
Investigators claimed that business is booming at the Chinese factory because of the surging demand in the West for cheap computers.
Most of the 2,000 workers are young women, aged 18 to 35. They work 87-hour, seven-day weeks making parts for big-name brands.
One worker said: We are like livestock, not workers. (ANI)
- Chinese kids making badges for London Olympics: Report - Feb 26, 2012
- Chinese work 16 hours a day to make Olympic toys - Jul 25, 2012
- Eleventh Suicide In A Year In Chinese Factory - May 27, 2010
- One year, 10 suicides in Chinese electronics factory - May 27, 2010
- Maruti violence may be planned: cops - Jul 21, 2012
- Illegal brothels sprouting across Australia - Nov 15, 2010
- Congo blast kills over 100 (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- China's huge labour pool 'dries up', says leading economist - Mar 28, 2011
- 10th Suicide in a Chinese Factory - May 27, 2010
- Company dorm fire leaves 11 dead, 10 injured in east China city - Dec 04, 2008
- Myanmar 'slaves' rescued in Thailand - May 19, 2012
- Over 200 Brazil firms found treating workers as slaves - Jan 05, 2011
- Chinese man forced sex slaves to act in pornography shows - Sep 24, 2011
- Air India to clear dues by Saturday (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Apple launches probe into unsafe factory conditions in China - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: 12 hour shifts, cheap computers, chinese workers, dormitories, horrific conditions, investigators, livestock, london feb, metal bunk beds, mirror, name brands, national labour, paise, pay slips, sleep, swollen hands, tiny metal, toilet, undercover team, young women