Chinese woman suffocates to death after TV blastApril 26th, 2011 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, April 26 (IANS) A Chinese woman died of suffocation in her Shanghai apartment after a television set exploded in a flat below hers.
Cai Shuwen, a student at the Shanghai Normal University, was sleeping in her fourth-floor home in Pudong area when a television set in a second-floor apartment blew up, leading to a fire.
An elderly woman said she was watching television when the screen suddenly went blank. She went to seek help from neighbours without first unplugging the set.
There was a loud explosion and the contents of the woman’s apartment were destroyed. However, the elderly woman was safe, Shanghai Daily reported.
But Cai, despite sleeping with her apartment windows open, died after inhaling the smoke.
A mother and her son living on the sixth floor were also at home when the explosion took place. Unable to escape due to thick smoke in the staircase, they locked themselves in the bathroom and covered their mouths and noses with wet towels.
- Kite string causes blackout in Shanghai - Mar 31, 2012
- 'Dead' woman comes alive in China - Aug 03, 2012
- Hospital fire kills patient in Brazil - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Voodoo sex ceremony' sparked deadly Brooklyn blaze - Feb 27, 2011
- Chinese woman gives birth in shopping mall - Jul 16, 2012
- Toxic fumes kill six in China tunnel - Dec 10, 2011
- Three killed as molasses tank bursts in Odisha - Jan 23, 2012
- De Niro's apartment catches fire - Jun 09, 2012
- Shanghai libraries come together to woo readers - Jun 15, 2012
- Houston to be buried next to dad - Feb 17, 2012
- Naked woman throws minor son from 4th floor - Jul 10, 2011
- Chinese hotel covers up nude statues after public ire - Mar 07, 2012
- Three killed in Chicago suburb shooting - Oct 25, 2010
- To escape rape, Russian woman jumps from fourth floor - Jul 06, 2012
- China launches first 3D TV channel - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: chinese woman, elderly woman, loud explosion, mouths, neighbours, noses, second floor apartment, shanghai normal university, sixth floor, staircase, suffocation, thick smoke, watching television, wet towels