Chinese vice president aims to end trust deficit with USFebruary 10th, 2012 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 10 (IANS) Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping’s upcoming visit to the US will provide an opportunity to end the “trust deficit” that exists between the two countries, a minister has said.
“The level of mutual trust between China and the US is lagging behind what is required for the further development of our bilateral relations,” deputy foreign minister Cui Tiankai was quoted as saying by the China Daily.
Xi will visit the US Feb 13-17, where he will meet US President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta as well as leaders of both houses of the Congress.
Xi’s visit will present “a very important opportunity to enhance mutual trust”, the minister said.
The purpose of this visit is to further advance the partnership that is based on mutual respect and mutual benefits, said Cui.
Cui said the visit would help remove hurdles from China-US trade, including restrictions on US exports of hi-tech products to China and obstacles to Chinese investment in America.
Xi’s visit comes at a time when both countries have differences over a range of global issues, including sanctions on Iranian oil exports, the situation on the Korean peninsula, territorial disputes over islands in the South China Sea, and a recent UN draft resolution on Syria which China vetoed.
- Chinese vice president meets Panetta - Sep 19, 2012
- Chinese vice-president meets US president - Feb 15, 2012
- US, Chinese vice presidents discuss relations - Feb 08, 2012
- Chinese, US vice presidents hold talks - Aug 18, 2011
- US vice president reaches China on official visit - Aug 18, 2011
- US, China hope to restore mutual trust through dialogue next week - May 21, 2010
- Chinese defence minister in US to boost military ties - May 11, 2012
- US vice president to visit China, Japan - Aug 05, 2011
- China pushes for enhanced cooperation with Russia - Oct 21, 2011
- Chinese, US defence chiefs hold talks - Sep 18, 2012
- China, US vow stable military ties - May 02, 2012
- US vice president ends China visit - Aug 22, 2011
- Krishna meets China's would-be PM - Jun 06, 2012
- US to discuss Tibet situation with China - Feb 11, 2012
- Missing Chinese leader sends condolences - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: barack obama, bilateral relations, china daily, chinese investment, chinese vice, draft resolution, global issues, hillary clinton, iranian oil exports, joe biden, korean peninsula, leon panetta, mutual respect, mutual trust, president joe, south china sea, territorial disputes, trust deficit, us feb, xi jinping