Chinese vessel attackedJanuary 15th, 2012 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 15 (IANS) A Chinese commercial vessel was attacked by unidentified gunmen in Laos while returning to the country via the Mekong river, officials said Sunday.
The Shengtai-11 vessel was returning from Thailand to the Guanlei port of China’s Yunnan province when it was shot at by the gunmen. None of the crew members were injured, the China Daily reported.
The attack occurred on a section of the Mekong that runs through Laos. The river is a major transportation route shared by China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand.
Chinese police launched a joint patrol with their counterparts from Laos, Myanmar and Thailand along the river.
International transport on the Mekong fully resumed after law enforcement agencies of the four countries conducted a joint patrol in December and stepped up cooperation to ensure safety along the route.
Passenger services were suspended for four months after tourists were robbed in the river in August. Shipping services were halted after 13 Chinese sailors on two cargo ships were killed Oct 5.
- Security improves in Mekong river - Mar 11, 2012
- Four nations start Mekong river patrol - Dec 11, 2011
- Chinese cargo ships attacked on Mekong river - Jan 06, 2012
- Three Myanmar soldiers killed in Mekong river clash - Dec 12, 2011
- Thai soldiers confess to killing Chinese sailors - Oct 29, 2011
- Chinese cargo ships attacked on the Mekong River, 11 killed - Oct 10, 2011
- Thai navy rescues 800 dogs from smugglers - Jan 12, 2012
- Thai drug organization blamed for killing 13 crew members on Chinese cargo ships - Oct 11, 2011
- 13 dead in China pirate attack - Oct 23, 2011
- 11 Chinese killed as two cargo ships attacked - Oct 09, 2011
- Floods affect 8 million in Asia: UN - Oct 15, 2011
- 13 Chinese sailors killed after ships hijacked - Oct 10, 2011
- China spends $158 mn on nature reserve - Jan 23, 2012
- China spends $158m on major riverheads - Jan 23, 2012
- Two ships collide in sea off China - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: beijing, cargo ships, china daily, chinese police, chinese sailors, chinese vessel, commercial vessel, counterparts, crew members, four months, international transport, laos, law enforcement agencies, mekong river, myanmar, oct 5, shipping services, transportation route, unidentified gunmen, yunnan province