Chinese student goes blind after blood donationJanuary 7th, 2012 - 4:38 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 7 (IANS) A woman college student in China collapsed, hit her head on a chair and later became blind in one eye after donating blood, a media report said.
The woman has now been given a compensatory payment of 150,000 yuan (around $23,800) from the blood centre in east China’s Zhejiang province, Xinhua reported citing a statement from a local court.
Xiao Jiahui, a 2011 graduate from the Hangzhou Normal Institute for Preschool Education, fainted and hit her head on a chair after donating blood in Ningbo city in 2010. Her injury left her blind in one eye.
Xiao sued the blood centre for compensation, demanding a total of 880,000 yuan. She said she spent more than 800,000 yuan on treatment.
Although the Ningbo Central Blood Station did not agree that it should be responsible for the accident, the People’s Court of Jiangdong district said that Xiao’s injury will have a “negative influence on her future life and work”, and ordered the blood centre to compensate her.
- Woman's leg cut off by glass sheet - Jul 10, 2011
- When 50 taxi drivers in China helped an ailing colleague - Sep 08, 2012
- Chinese woman kills mother-in-law, toddler - Sep 12, 2012
- Chinese urban women contribute one-third to family income - Feb 29, 2012
- China tea costs more than gold! - Mar 23, 2012
- A royal scratch that would cost her $29,800 - Feb 08, 2012
- Uruguayan woman saves Chinese, gets award - Nov 03, 2011
- Now a service to drop boozers home - May 25, 2011
- A kiss lands Chinese driver in trouble - Sep 16, 2011
- This Chinese gang has 46 women, 22 of them pregnant - Jun 02, 2011
- 25 jailed for illegal abortions in China - Jul 31, 2012
- Lara Bingle uses payout from ex-fiance Michael Clarke to buy $880K home - Sep 16, 2010
- Chinese toddler who fell out of 10th floor window remains in coma - Jul 08, 2011
- China builds world's longest sea-link bridge - May 11, 2011
- World's longest sea bridge opens in China - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: beijing, blood donation, chinese student, compensatory payment, donating blood, east china, future life, jan 7, jiangdong, local court, negative influence, preschool education, xiao s, xinhua, yuan, zhejiang province