Chinese student gets life sentence for killing teacherJanuary 14th, 2009 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
Taiyuan (China), Jan 14 (Xinhua) A 17-year-old student was sentenced to life in prison for fatally stabbing a teacher last year in north China’s Shanxi Province, a court announced Wednesday.The student, identified only by his surname of Li, was dissatisfied with the work of head teacher Hao Xudong, according to evidence heard by the Intermediate People’s Court of Shuozhou City during the initial trial.
The court was told that Oct. 4, Li, a student at the No. 2 Middle School of Shuozhou City, repeatedly stabbed Hao with a knife in a classroom. Hao died of blood loss.
Li’s father was ordered to pay more than 130,000 yuan ($19,000) as compensation to the dead teacher’s parents.
Both sides have appealed to the Higher People’s Court of Shanxi Province.
Under China’s criminal laws, people convicted of premeditated murder face sentences that can range from more than 10 years in prison to life terms to the death penalty.
Li was spared the death sentence because he is a minor, the intermediate court said.
- China sentences 58 in mine landslide case - Sep 30, 2010
- Chinese man sentenced to death in demolition case - Feb 01, 2011
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Drunk driver bites policeman to avoid alcohol test - May 05, 2011
- Two get death penalty for selling 46 infants - Sep 28, 2010
- Chinese who killed woman after accident sentenced to death - Apr 22, 2011
- Chinese woman tortures step-daughter to death - May 17, 2012
- China launches remote-sensing satellite - Nov 09, 2011
- Woman commits suicide at China Foxconn plant - Nov 25, 2011
- Chinese brothers, father get death sentence for fraud - Nov 07, 2011
- Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in China - Jan 21, 2012
- Former Chinese governor gets life imprisonment for bribery - Apr 09, 2011
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- China bans palm-reading assessment in schools - Feb 01, 2012
- Fake Chinese scribes get seven years in jail - Oct 15, 2011
Tags: 10 years, blood loss, chinese student, dead teacher, death penalty, death sentence, hao, head teacher, initial trial, intermediate court, life in prison, life sentence, north china, parents, sentences, shanxi province, surname, xinhua, yuan