Chinese, South Korean presidents meet in SeoulMarch 26th, 2012 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, March 26 (IANS) Chinese President Hu Jintao met South Korean President Lee Myung-bak Monday in Seoul to discuss bilateral ties.
The two leaders met on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit slated Monday and Tuesday in Seoul, reported Xinhua.
Over the past 20 years, bilateral economic and trade cooperation have been continuously expanded, people-to-people exchanges and cooperation in other areas have flourished and the two sides have also coordinated closely on multilateral issues, Hu said.
This is the tenth meeting between the two leaders over the past four years and the second between them this year. In January, the South Korean president visited China and held talks with Hu.
Hu also said Lee’s January visit to China was a good start to the Sino-South Korean relations this year.
On his part, Lee said China had played an important role in making the summit a success.
Since the two sides established the strategic cooperative partnership in 2008, bilateral cooperation in economy, trade and various other spheres has rapidly developed, he noted.
While stressing that there was huge potential for bilateral pragmatic cooperation in more areas, the South Korean leader said that the further development of relations between their two countries would contribute greatly to the maintenance of peace in northeast Asia and the whole world.
In 2011, two-way trade between the two countries was recorded at $245.6 billion, an increase of 18 percent over the previous year.
The two countries are working towards realising the target of bilateral trade of $300 billion in 2015.
- Chinese, South Korean presidents meet on ties - Mar 26, 2012
- China urges restraint on Korean Peninsula (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Hu to attend Nuclear Security and BRICS summits, visit Cambodia - Mar 19, 2012
- Russian, South Korean leaders meet in Seoul - Mar 26, 2012
- Manmohan Singh leaves Wednesday for G20 Summit in Seoul - Nov 07, 2010
- PM in Seoul next week for n-security summit - Mar 21, 2012
- 'India-South Korea defence relations won't impact China ties' - Mar 25, 2012
- India to be friends with China, US: PM - Mar 24, 2012
- Civil n-pact between South Korea, India awaits signature - Oct 29, 2010
- Medvedev heads off for Seoul, Delhi - Mar 26, 2012
- India, Thailand review FTA talks, push trilateral highway - Aug 10, 2012
- South Korea, Uzbekistan sign $4.1 bn gas deals - Aug 24, 2011
- Manmohan heads for Seoul with new package for G20 - Nov 09, 2010
- PM departs for Seoul n-security summit (Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Obama visits Korean demilitarised zone - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: bilateral cooperation, bilateral ties, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, cooperative partnership, economy trade, hu hu, hu jintao, multilateral issues, northeast asia, nuclear security, president hu jintao, president lee, security summit, seoul seoul, south korean leader, south korean president, south korean relations, target, trade cooperation