Chinese ship rescued from pirates off Somalian coastDecember 18th, 2008 - 1:20 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Dec 17 (Xinhua) An international navy ship rescued a Chinese ship from a group of Somali pirate in the Gulf of Aden, a regional maritime official confirmed Wednesday.Andrew Mwangura, East Africa’s Coordinator of Seafarers Assistance Programme (SAP) said the crew on the Chinese MV Zhen Hua-4 had locked themselves in their cabins and called for help.
“Pirates boarded but 30 crew locked themselves in accommodation room and radioed piracy centre in Malaysia,” Mwangura said in a statement.
“They notified coalition forces who sent two helicopters and one warship. They fired on pirates but did not kill them. Pirates left ship after five hours,” he said.
The attack came a day after the UN authorised troops to pursue the bandits on land in a bid to tackle the increasing problem of piracy in the Gulf of Aden.
Piracy off the coast of Somalia this year has earned gunmen millions of US dollars in ransom and hiked shipping insurance costs.
The seizures have prompted some of the world’s biggest shipping firms to switch routes from the Suez Canal and send cargo vessels around southern Africa instead which could push up the cost of commodities and manufactured goods.
- Somali pirates seize ship with 23 Chinese crew - Apr 11, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Bermuda-flagged ship - Mar 24, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- Indian Navy abandons escort of freed vessel (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Ship unresponsive, Indian Navy calls off escort (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Fresh pirate attack on freed vessel, India rushes warship (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack ship with Indian crew - Aug 02, 2010
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Freed merchant vessel crew safely proceeding to Oman: Government - Jun 15, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack ship with Malta flag - May 02, 2009
- India denies obstructing Pakistani warship (Third Lead) - Jun 18, 2011
- Somali pirates seize cargo ship with 18 crew - Sep 09, 2010
- Did our best to help Indian sailors of MV Suez: Navy chief - Jun 24, 2011
- Somali pirates seize ship with 12 crew - Sep 25, 2010